Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI: If you had a sti, and did a turbo bolt on and some other stuff, and you lost your motor, what would you do. What you have someone sleeve the block and get a new crank and different pistons, or would you just go with a JDM spec motor with more power. Keep in mind emissions is something you'd have to pass, and your looking for longevitve and a reliable ride. What do you think would be the best route. Would a "Built" 2.5 be able to handle 450-500 at the wheels?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Gees... That seems to be the situation that I'm in, lol. I am having the motor sleeved with forged internals and the works. I am having the heads reworked while I'm at it. The motor that goes back in my car will be able to handle 500whp like a walk in the park. The thought of it makes me want to look past the Green and at something more like the GT35R or the FP30...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
STFUTuning said:
Built motors rule! They rule my wallet! Haha... I got owned by detonation.
I have something up my sleeve for a personal project. Im tired of building cool motors for everyone else and not having one myself :D

-Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mike,

My motor is comming out this weekend and then it's on. It may be comming your way. We'll see. Dan @ Godspeed has some SICK 2.8 setup. Magnus has done some interesting stuff too. It's all about the $$$ though when you get into these things. It really gets up there, especially when you tack on the head work. Anyone want to sponser a car? LOL....

On a technical note. Do you think that a 2.8 would be able to bump the revs very much? I know the low end would be crazy, but I would like to have a 8K or higher, safe rev limit.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
STFUTuning said:
Mike,

My motor is comming out this weekend and then it's on. It may be comming your way. We'll see. Dan @ Godspeed has some SICK 2.8 setup. Magnus has done some interesting stuff too. It's all about the $$$ though when you get into these things. It really gets up there, especially when you tack on the head work. Anyone want to sponser a car? LOL....

On a technical note. Do you think that a 2.8 would be able to bump the revs very much? I know the low end would be crazy, but I would like to have a 8K or higher, safe rev limit.
I have never heard of anyone actually using a 2.8 liter. I 'think' Crawford Performance says that some are, but have shown little to back it up. I would have a hard time spending money on an unproven set up.

We know what works and stick to it. Also offer any head work that one could desire :)

-Mike

PS: If you want big power, we still have 2 H6 motors ready to build ;)

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So cost...what would we be looking at? I'm sure I'm a little off coming from the old 5.0 and 4.6 world of mustangs but for a motor to make around 400-500 hp and drive like a champ, what would you have to do and what is the cost. Does the drivetrain hold up to or do you have to start on that next?

As far as I go: I see myself getting a STi driving until warranty is up, then putting on exhaust and a EBC and maybe FMIC. If I'm going to built something for the big boys it will be something I'm familuar with and know alot about...Oh the joy of Ford Stroker motors with a Postive displacement blower:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
As far as the motor goes, if you want the works, set aside at least 5K for the motor build itself and about 1K for the labor. Be ready though. When you send the motor out, why not do the heads too? BAM! price goes up around 2500 without cams. Well, while we're at it, we might as well..... It adds up, quickly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i also need a motor :( motor has low compression on the drivers side bank number two & number four cylinders. The following compression results are as follows: 1) 135psi 2) 90psi 3) 140psi 4) 65psi,
My goel is to put pistons and rods to run 22 psi's and also do some head work?
what are the best pistons to go with ?forged?
Any web sites that have pistions for the 2.5 sti?
also would just port and polishing the heads help out on HP?
thank you

·
Registered
108 Posts
Since the motor is out, I say go all the way. Sleeve that biatch! There are some great guys out there that really know that they are doing. Here are some:

www.axisporwerracing.net
www.magnusmotorsports.com
www.i-speed.com
www.godspeedinc.com - call and Dan will give you info

There are also various Sandrail builders with tons of time in these motors that can help you out.

As far as heads are concerned, do the port and polish, valves, retainers, dual valve springs.... Cams are another option and I won't have any answers to that issue for a month or so.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
AdamRmr said:
i also need a motor :( motor has low compression on the drivers side bank number two & number four cylinders. The following compression results are as follows: 1) 135psi 2) 90psi 3) 140psi 4) 65psi,
My goel is to put pistons and rods to run 22 psi's and also do some head work?
what are the best pistons to go with ?forged?
Any web sites that have pistions for the 2.5 sti?
also would just port and polishing the heads help out on HP?
thank you
well hmmmm :tongue:

I think I know someone who does that stuff.

email me.

[email protected]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Shard said:
Whats the exhaust on one of those sound like.
I'd guess like a porsche..because thats that their motors basically are.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts