ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys this is gonna be a long one. So i'm building my motor in my high performance class at Wyotech next year about this time. I'm going to have 3 months of shop time to put all of this stuff under my hood. Anyway here's my list, let me know if i'm missing anything. Comments and constructive critisism are always welcome.

2004 WRX
5-speed

TD06-20G-FP Probably
750 or 850cc injectors
FMIC+Piping-Injen Phantom
Headers
Gearset, either PPG or RA
BC 272 Cams
Port and Polish heads
Valves Springs and Retainers
JE pistons
Scat Rods
Rims and tires-TBD
Seats-TBD
Harness/Harness bar-Sparco and Custom
Intake-Probably AEM
Upgraded Boost Control Solenoid
EWG+Up+Dump
Walboro or supra fuel pump
BPV-80/20(I really do just want the sound)
Meth Kit
Lightweight Pulleys
Some New suspension Bushings here and there
Cobb stage 2 suspension kit-might go coilovers
Stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel
Timing belt and new water pump and other ancilliarys

I might have the boys in chassis fab weld in an SCCA regulation roll cage too
Can a Cobb protune handle this?
Oil Cooler?
Fuel Rails?
Upgraded Axels?
Diffs?

I'm looking for an 8.5k redline or so and around 370awhp somewhere in that ball park. I just need opinions. I know it's going to run me a little over 10grand. Know a better option or a better setup let me know

Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
966 Posts
sell the WRX and get an STI, and go stage 3 with it and you will have better number especially tq...and u dont have to do all that motor work...but this doent seem like the option u wanna go with but you wouldnt have to buy the ~3,000$ PPG gears(still a 5 speed)...also now where in that list do i see exhaust :rolleyes: perhaps u forgot....also the 20G on a 2.0 has a ton of lag...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
sell the WRX and get an STI, and go stage 3 with it and you will have better number especially tq...and u dont have to do all that motor work...but this doent seem like the option u wanna go with but you wouldnt have to buy the ~3,000$ PPG gears(still a 5 speed)...also now where in that list do i see exhaust :rolleyes: perhaps u forgot....also the 20G on a 2.0 has a ton of lag...
I agree however...he wants to spin to 8500rpm...personally I think a built EJ207 would be the best for that.

·
Registered
966 Posts
ahh yes i forgot about that.....but do you really need to spin at ~8,000 rpm?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
ahh yes i forgot about that.....but do you really need to spin at ~8,000 rpm?
Well thats up to the OP. But, I think a 8000rpm redline would be more than enough...8500rpm probably is not worth the money...plus the stress on the engine.

But, the OP says he is doing all the work himself. So I would think a EJ207 (2.0L STi engine) which I believe in its stock form spins to 7800 or 8000rpm, should be his starting point and not a EJ205 block. Also, I don't even know about a 20G at 8500rpm he may need a bigger turbo to take advantage of such a high redline. If it were me I would set a more modest goal of 8000rpm and the TD06-20G will probably be fine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to be honest with you i can't really afford the insurance on an sti. I'm in school and working and have to pay for it myself. The car's payed off so thats one worry off my back but insurance on an sti is just insane for a 19 year old.

as for the 8.5k redline i just really really like to rev sh!t.

I do love the 207 and it was my original plan but i really don't want to go J-spec becuase of all the ecu hassels. But if i can find one cheap enough i'll consider it. what do you guys' thinks better v7 or v8?

i was also running through the idea of a rotated setup with like a 30r or something along those lines.

Oh and i forgot to mention that i'm Cobb stage 2 right now. Catless up and down, through a hks hi-power exhaust. misc stuff like snorkel delete...etc

oh and i like my 5-speed...i'd rather just rebuild but if i can find a swap for cheap enough i'll jump into a 6.

all plans are tentative and probably will be changing over the next year before the install beings.

keep the input coming!!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
as for the 8.5k redline i just really really like to rev sh!t.
Even when there isn't any power up there? Your power will taper off long before you reach 8500 rpm. So that's pretty pointless. Unless, you're doing head work or cams.

EDIT
Just saw cams and port and polished head.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone want to chime in about the questions at the bottom? There's no way that i got everything the first time...i have to have forgotten something? I'm just doing this because when your working on cars then something goes wrong pretty much anytime you don't want it to. I have to get all of the parts right the first time cause i can't afford to not have the right part when i go to put this thing together.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
I'd find a tuner first and speak with them. With a setup like that they are going to be playing the biggest part in durability and horsepower. They will have suggestions on what has worked for them in the past and I'd take what they have to offer seriously.

Cobb can tune what you have listed if the tuner is competant enough. Not every tuner has tuned a built motor with cams and understand what all needs to be done to make power and get the most out of that setup.

The axles/diffs should be fine. Fuel rails arent really needed. Oil cooler for a street car isnt needed.

Glancing over the list...you would want to consider TGV delets with that setup as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
as for the tuner goes your talking to him(with the help of my HPPT instructor of course). This is going to be my chosen profession so hopefully all goes well.

This is all for a grade. I'm building and tuning my car for a grade. Wyotech has an in house AWD dyno along with pretty much any specialty tool on the planet so thats not a problem either. Oh and my instructor is a tuning pro. His name's Nate i really dont know his last name. He does side jobs for race teams when he's not teaching.

Not to mention(and i know this is entirely off topic) his skyline. R33+probably about 50k+his mastery of tuning knowledge=over 1000hp at the wheels and is completely streetable.

and thanks i'll look into the TGV deletes

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Then unless "nate" has a Cobb tuning license you will have to go another route with your engine management.

If you are tuning it yourself either Hydra or Romraider are options. Romraider is free menus a 80 dollar cable. Hydra is a standalone and can do everything.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about access tuner? Can that handle it?

I get a discount on AEM so i'll probably just go with a stand alone AEM system if i have to. I'm not all that familiar with Hydra though.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Cobb's Street Tuner might be able to but I havent heard if they support the AP2 or not.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not street tuner...access tuner it's the new street tuner for the AP V2...cobb was giving it away free for awhile for beta testing and i got my copy of it...idk if they're still doing that but i got the link off this forum...so i know the info's here...check it out...it's actually pretty good...not to mention it's free:p!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
What crank are you gonna use? What bearings? You are gonna need more than the stock oil pump to spin 8.5k.

Maybe a spec c crank? 12mm oil pump?

There is a built motor forum on Nasioc. It is pretty active and you could probably get a lot of input there.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Also, with those cams, headwork and an 8.5k redline, your turbo will run out of breath up top. You are probably gonna need a larger turbo. There is no point in revving that high if your turbo will not flow enough to take advantage of it.

Someone mentioned that the 20g has a ton of lag. Nonsense. I daily drive a 20g on a built ej205 with stock heads and it is just fine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i haven't put much thought into the crank. I probably will end up with the jspec spec c crank or something like it at least.

as for oiling i haven't put much though towards that either. Any ideas as to what i'd have to buy for that? Any tried and true proven setups?

great information guys...keep it coming

1 - 18 of 18 Posts