ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru WRX 'Sonic Yellow'
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am a bit newer to the forums and have done tons of reading on topics like this but was curious for an opinion on my specific situation.

I own a 2003 Subaru WRX.
I plan on ordering some parts / bolt on modifications and was curious if there is anything I have left out that is vitally important at this stage. The 2 things I could see that may cause problems is my intake and my exhaust manifold. I am unsure what intake I plan on going with but that is planned in the future. However I have read that the stock airbox is pretty decent. As far as exhaust manifold I planned on switching to headers further down the line when I have a little extra cash. I plan on getting the killer B motorsports 4-1 equal length holy header. Below are the modifications that I plan to start with.

Grimmspeed 2 bolt up-pipe with EWG:

38mm TiAL External Wastegate ^^^

Invidia divorced catted downpipe:

IAG internal wastegate bracket:

Borla Hush Touring catback exhaust:

Cobb 3-port boost control solenoid:

Cobb Accesport v3:

My goals are around 250whp and 250wtq, are these mods capable of seeing these numbers?
Is there anything I have missed that you would recommend with these modifications? Will I need the accessport if I get a protune? Or is there another aftermarket ECU that you recommend?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I planned to include links but unfortunately I cannot post them on my first posts. A quick google search of any of the mods will result in the appropriate links.

·
BooSTIng
2,767 Posts
Honestly your mods list doesn’t look bad. However, with going with an external wastegate setup like you mentioned, a divorced tube downpipe is pointless. Just get a bellmouth/open downpipe. The divorced part is to separate the wastegate gases from the exhaust gases. Going external will stop all wastegate gases from going through the internal wastegate you have on your stock turbo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly your mods list doesn’t look bad. However, with going with an external wastegate setup like you mentioned, a divorced tube downpipe is pointless. Just get a bellmouth/open downpipe. The divorced part is to separate the wastegate gases from the exhaust gases. Going external will stop all wastegate gases from going through the internal wastegate you have on your stock turbo.
You know that makes sense and I am a ding dong for not noticing. Thank you for saving me a couple extra $$

·
BooSTIng
2,767 Posts
Not a problem. That is why forums exist, to help others out. Like I mentioned, the mods list you have isn't bad at all. Just remember, even though you will have a cobb accessport, there is no off the shelf map on that accessport to support your modifications. You will need to be pro tuned. Contact your closest Subaru performance shop to set that up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a problem. That is why forums exist, to help others out. Like I mentioned, the mods list you have isn't bad at all. Just remember, even though you will have a cobb accessport, there is no off the shelf map on that accessport to support your modifications. You will need to be pro tuned. Contact your closest Subaru performance shop to set that up.
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of ots maps. if I use one it will be just so that I can safely drive the 30 miles to my tuner. I've picked andrewtech, hopefully the Accessport is effective and I won't have to switch to something like utec or ecutek. they are fairly close by though and I've read great things about them.

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of ots maps. if I use one it will be just so that I can safely drive the 30 miles to my tuner. I've picked andrewtech, hopefully the Accessport is effective and I won't have to switch to something like utec or ecutek. they are fairly close by though and I've read great things about them.
Your tuner will give you a base map for that purpose an ots on non supported is bad news

·
BooSTIng
2,767 Posts
No kidding!!! I was just at Andrewtech today getting my suspension installed and an alignment. They built my engine too. Awesome guys there!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No kidding!!! I was just at Andrewtech today getting my suspension installed and an alignment. They built my engine too. Awesome guys there!!
Haha yeah, I've only ever heard good things and when I call they are super nice and helpful. I'm going to start a build thread here soon. Question though, is it worth it to go jdm sti TMIC? Or should I just save for my FMIC intercooler setup i have planned further down the line? I read somewhere on here that the stock ej205 TMIC only has a CFM rating good till around the 300whp mark.

·
Æternum
19,963 Posts
That's surprising. AndrewTech is non essential. How are they remaining open?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
BooSTIng
2,767 Posts
So yesterday they said that because they are classified as a vehicle maintenance and repair shop they can remain open. But the owner and Sam were discussing closing. As of now, still open.

·
Æternum
19,963 Posts
Oh, OK interesting.

My company is critical infrastructure and DoD so we are still producing. I am sequestered at home though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts