ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll have ~16k to spend (including tax and tags) to get the WRX I always wanted. I wanted an 04 because of the nicer interior and stronger tranny but I'd be flat out broke if I bought one. If I were to get a bugeye (which I really like the body style of) I'd have a nice cash cushion in case something goes wrong. Not to mention it should be a lot easier to find a clean bugeye for 11-12k than a clean 04 for ~14k. So basically, is an 04 really worth it if you have to stretch your car budget to afford it? I'm terrified of transmission issues even if it isn't really as big a deal as most people make it out to be :unhappy:

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
I thought that the interior in the 04 was nearly identical to the '02-'03 interior. :confused:
There was a revamp in '05.

"Transmission issues" will have much more to do with how you drive the car, than with what year you buy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah the revamp was in 05? The 04 has nicer seats at least. Last year when I looked at an 02 the interior wasn't all that nice. Was told by a friend the 04s are better. Not a big deal. Thanks for clearing that up.

I know the transmission is more about how you drive it but you never know what the previous owner did with the car. From what I've read it seems it can not only break on a hard launch but also from built up previous abuse over time? Is that the truth?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Ah the revamp was in 05? The 04 has nicer seats at least. Last year when I looked at an 02 the interior wasn't all that nice. Was told by a friend the 04s are better. Not a big deal. Thanks for clearing that up.

I know the transmission is more about how you drive it but you never know what the previous owner did with the car. From what I've read it seems it can not only break on a hard launch but also from built up previous abuse over time? Is that the truth?
Don't look at it - sit in it and drive it. The 2002 WRX has what many people consider to be the best seats ever available from the factory.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
Don't look at it - sit in it and drive it. The 2002 WRX has what many people consider to be the best seats ever available from the factory.
+1
It also may depend on your build. Later WRX's and STI's have been accused of having "fat people seats". I'm skinny; the '02 seats are absolutely perfect for me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I had an 04' for a little while and loved it! I've driven a couple 02's and the seats seem a little softer. My butt seems to settle in a little more than I like. Plus I like the all black in the 04's and 05's. Like the op said, I can get a bugeye a little cheaper but I think I would prefer the seats in the blobeyes. I'm not a fatty but I'm 6'3" and about 215 so I can use every bit of extra room I can get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts