ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forums and had a question or two.

Looking to purchase a WRX or STi, whichever fits my financial status when i go to apply for a loan. I really like the bugeye look. Are there any common problems with the models? From what i have read, they're lighter than later models due to the chassis stiffening. Anything helps.

Thank You!!:)

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Just some food for thought, the STi wasn't available in the US until '04, which is the "blobeye" body. So if you definitely want a bugeye ('02-03), your choice is limited to a WRX.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I'm a bugeye guy myself, but you'll need to keep in mind that those are now the oldest WRX models in the U.S. That means that the odds that they've been owned by multiple owners..one of which may not have taken proper care..could be somewhat higher. Whatever you decide to buy, I would suggest looking for a single-owner car, unmodified. Bonus points if you find one owned by someone older than 30...but that's just my ageism bias showing.

Good luck!

·
Æternum
20,599 Posts
Subaru has made many improvements over the years. The Bugeyes are the oldest WRXs in the U.S. Make your logical conclusion from this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help!! I was aware that the Bugeye limited me to a WRX, but anything AWD is an upgrade from the Civic I own right now. I fell in love after driving my uncle's Hawkeye STi, and my neighbor has a WRX as well. Honda game is too big here in Washington, I'm just looking for something new. Thank you everyone for all the help though! Much apprecieated :)

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Subarus are definitely different animals from Hondas, make sure you remember this after you purchase it. Too many Honda and other Japanese car owners come over to Subaru thinking the same rules apply for modification as they did to their other cars. This is absolutely not the case.

I would base my judgement on what both fits my financial abilities, as you stated, but like Ray said, make sure you're getting a good car that fits the bill as well. Don't settle, take your time to find the right car that will give you the least amount of headaches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've come to that realization. And my decision to try Subaru out is to further expand my knowledge in automotive. I do admire the Honda plug and play simplicity with the engine swaps and all having done a couple myself. But the simplicity can be a bit boring at times. My plans with Subaru thus far only pertain to enhancing looks; lowering, fogs lights maybe, a lip. After first learning what common modifications people are applying to their own vehicles will I decide to commit and furhter invest.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Good luck with it! The engine mod paths for our cars are actually pretty straight-forward, well, at least in the beginning. It's just different from what you may be used to, as Cody said.

·
Æternum
20,599 Posts
Just some food for thought: Many financial institutions will not provide a loan to you for a car that is more than 5 years old. Those that do will provide extremely high APR financing which is not recommended.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts