ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wassup Peeps!, I got a real bad dash hop at take off. You just about have to stall it to take off from a stop. Buddy of mine said that in the big 4X4 Trucks, Jeeps, off road vehicles, That it was a sign off slack in the transaxle. Any thoughts or suggestions? Got a 03 Bugeye w/ 5 speed out of an 04, 20G Turbo, TBE, Cobb AP Stage 2, BOV, Walbro FP.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I'd really like to know what a dash hop is...

There could be quite a bit of slop in the driveline however. That's a known thing. Upgrading engine mounts, tranny mounts/crossmember and driveline bushings can dramatically improve the slop.

Are you sure you're not experiencing slipping of a wearing clutch? Or even just the lag from having a relatively larger turbo on a 2.0L motor?

You are protuned for the turbo, right?

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
20G turbo and no mention of injectors?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
This is why I'm subscribing to the thread.
Me too. :confused:

I'm picturing the whole car shuddering or something like that, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You would be right in assuming a jerking/shuddering action.The off-road crowd around here dubbed it so.Makes it look as if the dash is bouncing when coming off the clutch. Started not long ago, replaced clutch, made it worse. Have checked Mounts/Bushings. The 20G has been on the car for about 6 months. It didnt do it at first but as time went by it show itself and slowly got worse. Im afraid it is slop. Could it be the flywheel, its still stock.And if you need to know, it has the pinks(525cc). I run several different maps, so no change in behavior when switching maps.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Upgraded fuel pump???

Sounds a lot to me like you don't have enough fuel to run a 20G...those injectors are too small. They max out on a stock VF turbo on STIs at Stage 2.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me get this straight. Are you saying that my injectors are causing my car to jerk when using the clutch from start?
Upgraded fuel pump???

Sounds a lot to me like you don't have enough fuel to run a 20G...those injectors are too small. They max out on a stock VF turbo on STIs at Stage 2.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Its possible. If the motor isn't getting enough fuel the car will try to die causing a shudder

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me clarify what I am describing here. When you bring the clutch from the floor the vehicle will shudder, violently at times. Once the clutch is fully Depressed it will cease to shudder.The engine does fine. Ihave no drop in RPM's, nor is it stalling. I meant that I can let off the clutch lightly til near stall to prevent the shudder. But if you operate it normally ShAkY sHaKy!! I understand the 20G size situation. It is an unfinished build. Ima single Subie in a Honda world down here. Right now, she'll put down a solid 298HP with 307TQ. She will pull a 1/4 close to 12 sec. and she doesn't run lean. The best part is , there isn't a Honda around here that will catch it. BTW I beat the hell out of this car. She can drop her tranny if she wants.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
No I don't think your injectors, or lack there of, are causing the shudder, but that could lend to a different issue all together down the line.

And I ask again, have you been dyno tuned? Just wondering...

But as Garrett mentioned, a light flywheel could contribute to shuddering. What kind of clutch are you running? Stock style? They type of clutch you have could also cause this.

I know back when I was first learning to drive stick, say 14 years ago...cars would shudder very much if you came off the clutch too early and didn't give it enough gas. So, it's possible maybe you aren't giving enough gas, causing a shudder (and maybe small injectors have a say in this after all)...this is just speculation of course.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I have not had a dyno session. I use COBB Street Tuner software for tuning. I had a stock clutch to begin with and replace it with a new stock as well. It has the stock flywheel. This seems tranny related to me. The faster the RPM the more violent the shudder. Living where I do, I have very, very few options for professional assistance and tuning. All these fools down here know, is to get a Civic, throw a different PCM in it, and open up the flow.

·
turbo juice
112 Posts
judging by the way you say you drive the car it is probably several components in the driveline...better have a backup plan if this is your dd

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I also have a little suzuki sidekick. There is 120kmls on the clock with the original clutch... It shudders when the rpms are high and I release the clutch, like when I'm in a hurry. Not with lower rpms. The subie hasn't shown this yet. Maybeee it's your clutch after all....

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Sounds like the symptoms of crappy aftermarket clutch syndrome.. but you said you have stock clutch so that can't be it..

Have you looked over all of your engine/transmission mounts, pitch stop, etc. Could be a broken mount somewhere.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
You are probably generating hot spots on your clutch by slipping it too much. You may need a more aggressive clutch depending on how you drive, and considering you don't mind if your trans. drops.

You also should have replaced the flywheel most likely.

Reactions: etnpnys

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
You are probably generating hot spots on your clutch by slipping it too much. You may need a more aggressive clutch depending on how you drive, and considering you don't mind if your trans. drops.

You also should have replaced the flywheel most likely.

This. It's the clutch, without a doubt.

Also, this thread made me cringe several times.

Reactions: mycologist

·
Æternum
20,599 Posts
Do you have a wideband O2 sensor? How are you sure that the car isn't running lean??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts