Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my bugeye last year for a good deal but it came with no engine. I dropped a jdm engine into the car with the cam and crank gears set for usdm. The computer wasn’t operating correctly and I found out that it had an accessport tune on it. I replaced the computer and the engine light will not turn off the car is lacking power severely. There are no signs of rod knock. Timing was spot on.. I tried to connect an obd scanner on the car and it won’t scan. The interior harness is butchered to hell. And I don’t have the money to replace everything on the car at once. What would be a good option I take care of this matter? I’m seriously at a loss here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
How are you controlling the AVCS on that motor? Your OEM ECU does not have channels for AVCS control and is also not sure what to do with the lack of TGVs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No my car is not equipped with it. And I’m
Not running it either right now I’m looking at the wiring harness for everything because the last person to work on this car bypassed the starter

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
1. Yes, if it's a JDM EJ205 from equal year, it is equipped with AVCS
2. Yes, your OEM ECU is programmed to look for TGV input.

·
Super Moderator
10,913 Posts
I’m running a usdm ecu

The usdm ECU doesn't control the avcs or support a lack of tgv. That could be a large part of your issue

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The engine I have doesn’t have the avcs on it. The old computer was removed and I replaced it with Another computer. The car won’t start after reconnecting the hack job the dealership did to it. And it’s because the security modul or the immobilized being engaged. But these are the codes I’m
Getting now that I connected everything where it should go. Also I am trying to find out where this plug goes

IMG_8214.jpg IMG_8215.jpg IMG_8216.jpg IMG_8218.jpg IMG_8220.jpg IMG_8221.jpg IMG_8222.jpg IMG_8223.jpg IMG_8224.jpg IMG_8225.jpg

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
Then you are not informed about something.

You said it's a JDM engine. From what car?

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
2003 Wrx

OK. So, this is where you really need to dig down into the details of the transplanted motor.

The JDM 2003 WRX EJ205 DOES have AVCS (you'll need to sort this out) as well as a different cam profile. There are also differences in the long block that include a lack of TGVs that the USDM ECU is expecting to see. The shortblock also has different pistons with a different CR. The OEM tune will not work with the new block.

I would STRONGLY advise that you take the car to a Subaru-specific shop that specializes in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to do the repairs myself because I’m broke so that’s what I’m
Here. This is my first Wrx I have ever owned and I am fixing wires that were hacked by the previous owner

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
Then you have backed yourself into quite the pickle.

The long-and-short of it is, that JDM motor is not a direct swap with the OEM motor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what I have read is that the Wrx 2002-2003 didn’t come with the avcs unless it was the jdm engine. The cam gears were replaced wih the ones I had got wih the shell.

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
From what I have read is that the Wrx 2002-2003 didn’t come with the avcs unless it was the jdm engine. The cam gears were replaced wih the ones I had got wih the shell.

You said you dropped in a JDM motor? :confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes the previous owner cracked the spark plug tubes of the old engine and had it pulled out and then decided he wasn’t going to do anything for it. So I decided to take it off his hands. The engine I got was a non avcs engine from a jdm Depot. It wants to run but lacks power. I’m not getting any cam codes. Just o2 codes a vehicle speed sensor and maf code wih the IAT Codes soni honestly know what’s going on. The computer that was originally with the car is gone and I had to replace it and the only thing I can think of is the computer isn’t the correct one seeing that there are multiple variants of the ecu

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update on the situation. The computer was the cause of the poor running situation and that will be replaced in the next few days wih a new updated computer programmed for my car through the vin code. All that’s left is getting the hazards to work and the rest of the lighting and getting the starter to engage with nonossues

·
Super Moderator
10,913 Posts
I don't think you get what zax is telling you at all. If you get that engine running it's probably not going to last long. Stop while you are ahead, save, and pay someone to undo what had been done and fix the car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’m no rookie when it comes to engines and I contacted the dealership got the exact ecu and asked ifntnhad avcs and it doesn’t for my model. The computer I had was not forgotten configuration so I went back to a stock configuration

·
Super Moderator
10,913 Posts
I’m no rookie when it comes to engines and I contacted the dealership got the exact ecu and asked ifntnhad avcs and it doesn’t for my model. The computer I had was not forgotten configuration so I went back to a stock configuration

The JDM engine has avcs, different cams and different Pistons. Your dealership told you information based on the usdm engine you don't have.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts