Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I did the following mods on a 2009 WRX Sedan,
The following are all AMR Performance parts:
Turbo back exhaust (catless downpipe)
Intake
Up-pipe
CXR 550 turbo w/billet wheel and 10.5 cm turbine housing
Top mount intercooler
Dyno tune stored on a Cobb that read 369 [email protected]; 335lb/ft [email protected] (equivalent to a Dynojet read) done at 3rd gear. Boost approx. 16-17. Boost could be increased to 22 or 23 but if I use a front mount intercooler.

Also,
Deats. 850cc injectors
Deats. 300lph fuel pump

So, why doesn't it feel like 369 whp? Maybe it's me, but I'm not feeling this so-called "night and day" difference. This company has a good rep but maybe since doing these mods were hyped-up so much, I can not tell a huge difference. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Did anyone "feel" a major difference when they did their mods especially if they went to stage 2 or 3?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Yes, I felt a definite difference between stock and stage 2.

I would point out that a 'properly pro tuned' car is more powerful, but *may* not feel as powerful as you were expecting due to the nice smooth power curve rather than a harsh mule-kick the the butt-dyno. Find someone local with a stock, or nearly stock '09 and do some 20-60 (you what ever speeds you choose) pulls side-by-side.... you should pull way ahead. If not, there is something rotten in Denmark

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
So, why doesn't it feel like 369 whp?
Maybe because your butt dyno is not calibrated? Post the dyno sheet. Most bigger turbos are going to have a fair amount of lag making the car seem slow until the boost threshold is hit. Then the power comes on quick. A stage 2 car is going to have pretty much instant torque due to a much faster spool up making it feel alot faster. Trapseeds in the 1/4 miles will tell you exactly how fast the car is.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Where did you get it tuned? Seems like low power numbers (granted all dynos are different) and what do you mean by "Dyno tune stored on a COBB"? If you're talking about the AP Dyno feature, they are usually way off. I noticed a difference in a stage 1 tune, I would imagine an upgraded turbo would be a huge difference.

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
OP
Note: I merged the responses here and deleted your other identical threads.
Please don't post multiple identical threads.

:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, I felt a definite difference between stock and stage 2.

I would point out that a 'properly pro tuned' car is more powerful, but *may* not feel as powerful as you were expecting due to the nice smooth power curve rather than a harsh mule-kick the the butt-dyno. Find someone local with a stock, or nearly stock '09 and do some 20-60 (you what ever speeds you choose) pulls side-by-side.... you should pull way ahead. If not, there is something rotten in Denmark
Ok, makes sense. The protuner at AMR said that the car will accelerate smoother instead of a head-snapping effect. I guess I'll just give it a go on the freeways. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where did you get it tuned? Seems like low power numbers (granted all dynos are different) and what do you mean by "Dyno tune stored on a COBB"? If you're talking about the AP Dyno feature, they are usually way off. I noticed a difference in a stage 1 tune, I would imagine an upgraded turbo would be a huge difference.
I got it protuned at AMR in NY and I was trying to say that the tune done to my car was then stored on the Cobb AP. I think it's just that it accelerates much smoother than when it had the stock turbo so I don't get that instant "head/back pinned to the seat" effect.

·
Banned
664 Posts
who knows if the dyno is correct but you do have a pretty large turbo pushing almost no boost. that thing has to be laggy as all hell, it fact it is!! only 335tq and it takes all the way to 5500 rpm before you feel it??? to me that'd feel pretty weak too and also doesnt make a lot of sense.

my cars running full boost at 20psi by 3000 rpm and full tq by 3750 rpm with 382tq. now thats a kick and a power feeler. your motor and tranny can totally handle more than 335tq. crank that B up!

PS you dont feel HP, you feel TQ and 335 at 5500 is nothing to feel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts