ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving home yesterday. I was taking the scenic route up the highway. It's cold and the roads are covered with a few inches of snow. There's a snowplow coming down the opposite way and they drive pretty wild around here so I always pull as far to the side as I can. I start moving towards the side and my car understeers and slides. I try frantically to jam it into first, and most of you know how stubborn the first gear can be on subarus (I have my shifter and bushing in the mail...didn't get them soon enough I guess.) so i'm sliding and I run my bumper into a big rock on the side of the road. My bumper came off and my fog light surround flew off. I was like OMG why why? why me? why now?
So I assesed the damage and managed to pop the bumper back on but my bumper is cracked and has a nice hole in it and my underpan broke a piece off to.

If anyone at all has any suggestions of know what I should do to fix this please please please help me out.
thanks guys!
here's a pic of the damage:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Insurance is already TOO high. can't afford to have rates raised.

how about a body shop? can they fix this?

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
wow that sucks. my dad owns a body shop so i kind of have an eye for things like this.. and it looks like it'll be cheaper/faster/easier to just buy a new bumper.

if you were to have a body shop fix it, it would probably cost an arm and a leg

·
Registered
897 Posts
I've never had to replace the front bumper on my car, but I have had to replace the back (3 times to be exact, none were my fault). Because our bumpers are pretty much plastic, bondo really isn't an option when it comes to cracks and things like this. I'm not postive, but your probably going to have to suck it up and just buy a new one.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never had to replace the front bumper on my car, but I have had to replace the back (3 times to be exact, none were my fault). Because our bumpers are pretty much plastic, bondo really isn't an option when it comes to cracks and things like this. I'm not postive, but your probably going to have to suck it up and just buy a new one.
wow that sucks. my dad owns a body shop so i kind of have an eye for things like this.. and it looks like it'll be cheaper/faster/easier to just buy a new bumper.

if you were to have a body shop fix it, it would probably cost an arm and a leg
Thanks for the imput guys.
it's a big help.
So i'm gonna put out a want to buy thread out here looking for a blue 06 or 07 bumper.

but do you guy's think I should just get a cheap ebay aftermarket one? and have it painted?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
A cheap ebay one will not even be close to the quality of your OEM one, and becasue your paying to have it painted I would get a good bumper. I also would call your agent and see IF and IF so how much it would go up for your insurance, not all companies raise your cost over an accident like this. Why not you got nothing to lose. Or keep looking for one in a junk yard with rear end damage, even though this is unlikley to find. Good luck!

·
Registered
897 Posts
A cheap ebay one will not even be close to the quality of your OEM one, and becasue your paying to have it painted I would get a good bumper. I also would call your agent and see IF and IF so how much it would go up for your insurance, not all companies raise your cost over an accident like this. Why not you got nothing to lose. Or keep looking for one in a junk yard with rear end damage, even though this is unlikley to find. Good luck!
+1, it never hurts to try.

I wouldn't go any other route than getting an actual OEM replacement bumper. Getting a cheap eBay one could potentially cost more (with paint and everything) and could have you right back where you started (due to lightweight, cheap materials). Sometimes its smarter just go suck it up and pay the extra money.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1, it never hurts to try.

I wouldn't go any other route than getting an actual OEM replacement bumper. Getting a cheap eBay one could potentially cost more (with paint and everything) and could have you right back where you started (due to lightweight, cheap materials). Sometimes its smarter just go suck it up and pay the extra money.
Gotcha.
I actually couldn't find ANY bumpers at all on ebay.
but some google time found me some pretty nice looking name brand aftermarket bumpers on sale around $350.
I don't know if that's a good deal but I don't know where to get OEM bumpers.
I found one on craigslist but it was cracked to. :(

Any suggestions on a home fix just to make it look a little better?
and anybody know some decent priced aftermarket bumpers that keep the fog lights?

·
Registered
89 Posts
well, when you do find one, go to your school's autobody program and talk to the teacher to see if you can find someone that is looking for a e-z project to do, most cases the car wont be left over night and maybe you wont have to pay for labor.

but thats my two cents

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, when you do find one, go to your school's autobody program and talk to the teacher to see if you can find someone that is looking for a e-z project to do, most cases the car wont be left over night and maybe you wont have to pay for labor.

but thats my two cents
SOunds crazy. but i'll go check it out. We have some body work programs at my college and i'll see if they'll work on it...or just give them my bumper for a week...I don't think I trust them with MY car for even a day! :rotfl:

Buy a stock one already WRB. Throw it on. Or join Marty's "shaved bumper alliance."
I'm definately looking for an OEM one...but I can't find any :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey whats up. I saw your front bumper... I own a body shop. If you want I can get you the wholesale price for a new one from dealer. I don't think they are that much. Or if not i can probably get it from a dismanteler. I got lots of connections on auto body parts.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey whats up. I saw your front bumper... I own a body shop. If you want I can get you the wholesale price for a new one from dealer. I don't think they are that much. Or if not i can probably get it from a dismanteler. I got lots of connections on auto body parts.
That would be great!
wow, ya, that would really help me out a lot.
can you let me know what you can turn up, that would be great!

thanks a TON!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Make the most of the situation and get yourself a nice looking aftermarket bumper :thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello, I called my local subaru dealer. The price for the front bumper cover for the STI is only 230 plus tax. That is a brand new bumper. But since its new it comes on black primer. It will have to be repainted... but its not a biggie!

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I have some light damage to my front bumper and looked into repairing/replacing it and basically repair is not an option. Here's an actual estimate from a body shop for what needs to be done to put on the STI bumper. The quote you got for the bumper cover didn't include 4 pieces that will cost you another $320. Sorry for the format, but I couldn't get the image big enough to be readable. Also keep in mind that the left side of my bumper is fine so this price doesn't include replacing two parts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NO. OP. DESCRIPTION QTY EXT. PRICE LABOR PAINT
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 FRONT BUMPER
2 O/H front bumper 2.3
3 Repl RT Bumper cover upper bracket 1 4.32 Incl.
4 Repl Bumper cover 1 249.95 Incl. 2.6
5 Add for Clear Coat 1.0
6 Repl Decal "STI" red 1 26.00 0.2
7 Repl Decal "SUBARU TECHNICA 1 26.00 0.2
INTERNATIONAL" silver
8 Repl RT Skirt silver 1 81.85 Incl. 0.3
9 Add for Clear Coat 0.1
10 Repl RT Lamp bezel fog silver 1 76.25 Incl. 0.2
11 Add for Clear Coat 0.1
12# Refn color match/tint 0.5
PDF created with pdfFactory trial version www.pdffactory.com
01/15/2008 at 08:28 AM Job Number: