ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best vaccuum line to tap into with a t-fitting for a boost gauge? I've heard on the factory BOV. My vaccuum line coming from the right of the bov on my 04 sti doesnt have much slack, so I tapped the vaccuum line going to the intake elbow, would this make a difference... it shouldn't right, since vaccuum/boost shoul be consistent anywhere in the system as long as it's not leaking right?
Well anyways, I installed my mechanical boost gauge, my buddy dropped it when we were drilling the column cover to mount it but it appearing fine. It wont register vaccuum/boost at all, and the needle sits at about .4psi. My best guess is that its busted because even if where i tapped into vaccuum was wrong it should still pull vaccuum when idling etc. right.

Anyone have any insight?

This post probably sounds dumb, but I'm hung over and pissed that I'm going to have to buy new gauge and after installing my pod on the column decided I dont like it and have to find a new way to mount it. I'll prolly go with an A-pillar pod when I order a new gauge.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Have you driven the car yet? because you dont make boost unless there is a load on the car. drive it around the block or down the street and get on it a little and let us know the numbers then.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a vaccuum/boost gauge. And i'ts not reading either. I drove it under a load, on the freeway and got I was in boost... the gauge fluttered from like .4psi were the needle sits to about 1psi. IDK, I'm pretty sure the gauge is broken. The glass didnt break but part of the aluminum on the bezel of the gauge is bent from the fall, so that tells you how hard my friend dropped it.
So nothings registering on the gauge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you dont think the gauge could be broken... afte a 3 foot fall that bent the aluminum housing? ok. being a mechanical gauge i dont need electricity and the vaccuum line is tight, so i'm lead to believe that its the gauge. but thanks for the input

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had the same problem when I installed my STRI gauge, dropped and it sat at 3psi all the time. When I got the replacement I found out that the install was bad as well. I had overtightened the tiny little brass fitting. Got one for free from O'Reily's, works like a champ, ramps up faster then the OEM LAMCO gauge!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when you say the brass fitting, do you actually mean you had to get a replacement female fitting that screws into the male end on the gauge or the little brass doughnut/restrictor, whatever it is that sits between the two.
I'm going to go take the fittings apart and investigat for cracks or anything. I know I tightened it pretty snug. I'll see whatsup and head to Oreilleys.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Tee off the Bov then check your wiring. When I did my install I ended up finding a bad ground.

I have a friend stationed down there in Fort Hood.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On a mechanical gauge the wiring, power and ground is just for the light correct? Anyways, the little brass piece that fits between the male and female fitting was kind of messed up from how much I tightened it so I picked up a new fitting kit at oriellys. I'm going to test fit it loose tommorow to see if it works.
I had my gauge mounted on the column but it sat up high and obstructed the gauges so I am waiting until my a-pillar mount comes in on wed to finish the install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts