Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after my motor started knocking I kicked my wrx to the curb for a year and bought a brz as a daily.

I found a reputable shop, am making good money and I’m ready to drop an ej205 in it but I need some advice.
The motors I’m looking at come bolted on with a 5 speed transmission for $1700 and without the tranny for around 1200-1500

My car has 155k miles... since the transmission has to be dropped anyway should I just replace it with a fresher one and a new clutch while I’m at it?

·
Super Moderator
11,709 Posts
I'm a firm believer in the saying if it ain't broke dont fix it.

Replacing your transmission with a used one of unknown quality just because it's got lower mileage is not a great idea. It could have 50k and all the synchros are fried out of it.

If you go this used route and decide to buy the engine and tranny you can sell the transmission to make back some of your money. However my money would be on buying a new shortblock.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,791 Posts
So after my motor started knocking I kicked my wrx to the curb for a year and bought a brz as a daily.

I found a reputable shop, am making good money and I’m ready to drop an ej205 in it but I need some advice.
The motors I’m looking at come bolted on with a 5 speed transmission for $1700 and without the tranny for around 1200-1500

My car has 155k miles... since the transmission has to be dropped anyway should I just replace it with a fresher one and a new clutch while I’m at it?
I'd be really worried the gearbox you're putting in doesn't match the rest of your driveline for male/female axle connections up front and final drive to the rear. In addition I'd not replace a major component I don't need.

Do the clutch, keep your gearbox.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.