Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get new brakes for my 2010 wrx and am wondering weather I should go with Brembo, a stoptech big brake kit, or some other brand. Does anyone have any experience with either or recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
11,433 Posts
Before you spend thousands on a big brake kit try better pads, rotors, stainless brake lines, and new fluid. Many of the aftermarket big brake kits offer pads for racing applications and suck for street driving.

Ifnyou are looking for track brakes either will do, brembo had brand recognition and the price to follow

·
Registered
2010 Subaru WRX Limited Hatchback 5MT
186 Posts
Great advice above. Another thing is making sure your wheels clear the calipers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I want to get new brakes for my 2010 wrx and am wondering weather I should go with Brembo, a stoptech big brake kit, or some other brand. Does anyone have any experience with either or recommendations?
05 brembo’s all day!! And you dnt even even have to replace wheel hub axle’s & rims. The 05 GOLD sTi brembo’s WILL clear OEM 08-14 WRX rims. Not sure on rear tho. I eventually got my hands on a 2014 sTi FULL swap.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru WRX Limited Hatchback 5MT
186 Posts
05 brembo’s all day!! And you dnt even even have to replace wheel hub axle’s & rims. The 05 GOLD sTi brembo’s WILL clear OEM 08-14 WRX rims. Not sure on rear tho. I eventually got my hands on a 2014 sTi FULL swap.
I’ve read this somewhere else too about 11-14 WRX wheels clearing Brembos so that’s good to know, but how about the 08-10? They are 1/2 inch narrower with 2mm more offset, not to mention an entirely different wheel face design.

·
Super Moderator
11,433 Posts
I’ve read this somewhere else too about 11-14 WRX wheels clearing Brembos so that’s good to know, but how about the 08-10? They are 1/2 inch narrower with 2mm more offset, not to mention an entirely different wheel face design.
They don't, it requires wheel spacers.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My first question: Where are you? California has some metal content restrictions for brake pads.

Second: Are you going to be tracking the car? Hawk makes some very fine pads for the track. These pads have high metal content. They squeal like a pig if you don't have them up to temperature (every time you come to a stop light, they will squeal). Competition pads may cause more rapid wear on your rotors. On one of my rust buckets, I went with Hawk slotted rotors and hawk competition pads. They squealed like holy h#ll. Once warmed up, they didn't fade and they would haul me down from 140mph+ lap after lap.

Your better dual purpose pads (and competition pads) will dust like crazy.

·
Æternum
15,860 Posts
Stoptech uses Brembo calipers. The quality of discs and pads is not much different. But the price is massively different.
I've never heard this.... can anyone else corroborate?

·
Super Moderator
11,433 Posts
News to me considering the design of the calipers are not unified. However working in the automotive industry it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would probably go with Brembo. The reason for this is, and is definitely not limited to:

• Stoptech is not something I've heard only good things about
  • AP Racing is owned by Brembo
  • AP racing allows 3rd parties to build their brakes
  • Brembo has extremely stringent criteria and quality control for parts/fit/etc
  • Brembo is the most expensive, but you may get a discount!
  • etc...

·
Super Moderator
11,433 Posts
I would probably go with Brembo. The reason for this is, and is definitely not limited to:

• Stoptech is not something I've heard only good things about
  • AP Racing is owned by Brembo
  • AP racing allows 3rd parties to build their brakes
  • Brembo has extremely stringent criteria and quality control for parts/fit/etc
  • Brembo is the most expensive, but you may get a discount!
  • etc...
Brembo manufacturers parts in china. Stoptech does not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts