Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know anything about brembo brakes, like if they would fit 17" prodrives, or rota tar mac's 17" er fer that matter does anyone know which brakes are the best? and fit these size rims

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Brembo makes some of the best brakes money can buy...and quite a bit of money you'll spend for them. I believe the common Brembo kit for the WRX comes with 4 pot fronts with 330mm crosse drilled/slotted disks and your choice of pads. In all honesty, there are a lot of good brake makers out there with similar specs and brake abilities...such as AP, Stoptech, Wilwood and probably even the AEM works quite well. If you really want to get into hardcore brakes, Endless has a 6pot front(I think Dan "God" is about to install these soon) with slotted disks and I think AP racing has a differential 6 pot(ie the size of the pistons increase as the disk runs along the pad length).
I'm quite sure all the 4 pots fit most 17" x 7.5 with 48-53 offset, but it's impossible to say due to inner spoke clearances.
You won't have a problem with the Prodrive wheels....The cheap Rota Tarmac(ie P1 wannabes) are hard too tell.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that clear alot up thanx a bunch i think im going to go with the brembo's b/c i figure with all the power im putting in my car, i gota be able to stop to right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I say go with Stoptech because they have amazing customer service and the kit is designed for the WRX. The brembo kit is an excellent kit but its more generic than specific. if you notice the piston size on the WRX kit and lets say the S4 kit, you will notice that both have the same piston size which leads me to believe that its just offself parts slapped together

Stoptech designs its kits with rear brake balance too so the front brakes are not overworked. On a recent Audi S4 brembo Vs. Stoptech brake kits, the Brembo was 100 degrees hotter than the Stoptech. Although, the testing was not done on a WRX, this test should give you a general idea on how both compare

Here is the article, I highly recommend you looking at this
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/600551.phtml

Here is stoptech's website www.stoptech.com

·
Registered
202 Posts
The wilwood kit is designed specifically for the wrx. You get a complete front and rear kit ( all hardware/lines/pads/2 piece rotors/calpiers/detalied instructions/templates )for a total of $2180.00 ..add another 80$ or so if you want xdrilled/slotted rotors. The kit is phenomenal.

I had the big brembos on my TTZ and they were awesome, but cost 2800$ just for the fronts...I cant really compare them since they were on 2 different cars, but the Wilwoods are a superb full brake package for an excellent price and are definitely made for performance. Also, from my other posts, 11lbs total weight reduction with full front+rear kit over stock wrx brakes. As for fitment all I can say is that they fit in my SSR comp wheel wells no prob...the front 13.1in rotors and 6 piston calipers have about 3/4in clearance from the wheel spokes.

before making any decisions on a package, do your homework and get input from people who have the package your looking at for an informed decision..its a lot of money to spend and you want max performance and max reliability for your $$$.

·
Registered
25 Posts
newbie967 said:
does anyone know anything about brembo brakes, like if they would fit 17" prodrives, or rota tar mac's 17" er fer that matter does anyone know which brakes are the best? and fit these size rims
Question #1 What's the application ? Street, Track sprints, Track endurance, off road ( not with 17"s ).
Question #2 Do you have the best tires you can afford ?
Question #3 Have you modified your suspension to give the optimum weight transfer under braking ?

I know of a lot of drivers that do very well on stock size performance rotors with 4 piston Subaru calipers, steel braded lines, and quality brake fluid
I've also seen a lot of people assemble quality products like AP, Brembo, Alcon incorrectly to suit the application, using sprint rotors for endurance ect.
Larger rotors will definitely reduce operating temperatures but not always stop any quicker. Try applying heat paint to your rotors and see how hot they are running. If they exceed 600 deg C ( 1112 F ) on good tires and suspension then look for a big brake kit.
There are plenty of people who will sell you a jet plane to fly to work ! But maybe its not necessary !

·
1,911 Posts
My 2 cents worth. Although the Brembos are excellent there are many other options for less money you should look at. The two that stand out are the Stop Tech kit and the Prodrive kit. Both are priced about the same and are excellent bolt on kits. The Wilwood is another option but to be honest with you the quality is not up to the standards of the other 4 pot and 6 pot kits out there. I'll agree with steve that proper tire selection and brake fluid should be the first things to change.
As for myself. Well, I'm going to use the Sti Brembos front and rear but I have access to used ones unlike most folks out there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
God said:
My 2 cents worth. Although the Brembos are excellent there are many other options for less money you should look at. The two that stand out are the Stop Tech kit and the Prodrive kit. Both are priced about the same and are excellent bolt on kits. The Wilwood is another option but to be honest with you the quality is not up to the standards of the other 4 pot and 6 pot kits out there. I'll agree with steve that proper tire selection and brake fluid should be the first things to change.
As for myself. Well, I'm going to use the Sti Brembos front and rear but I have access to used ones unlike most folks out there.
Your 100% correct about Stoptech and Prodrive quality. They are good Engineers. I just think sometimes people jump in a bit too soon on the upgrades.
I'm very interested on your Sti Brembo conversion.( This is worth waiting for ! ) Please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
In addition to what has been said already: rally drivers(or people who just want to go a little offroad and won't put 17's on)...consider the 4pot Wilwood front and 2 pot rear with crossdrilled and slotted disks. MRT disks are also quite good and work well in combination with Subaru 4pot fronts and 2pot rear(prior to Brembo, house product...which is a little more cost effective).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LehighWRX said:
I say go with Stoptech because they have amazing customer service and the kit is designed for the WRX. The brembo kit is an excellent kit but its more generic than specific. if you notice the piston size on the WRX kit and lets say the S4 kit, you will notice that both have the same piston size which leads me to believe that its just offself parts slapped together

Stoptech designs its kits with rear brake balance too so the front brakes are not overworked. On a recent Audi S4 brembo Vs. Stoptech brake kits, the Brembo was 100 degrees hotter than the Stoptech. Although, the testing was not done on a WRX, this test should give you a general idea on how both compare

Here is the article, I highly recommend you looking at this
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/600551.phtml

Here is stoptech's website www.stoptech.com
i red the article and it makes sense, the stoptech did better under all conditions and the 100 degree temp. diffrence is a big plus, i just thought brembo was the best b/c everyone i talked to around here said they were great, and no one really told me about any other options but for the money stoptech seems to be the best for the $ thanx again guys

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only think I don't like about wilwood kits

1) The caliper is not stiff enough. Under track use, they tend to flex a bit. Not noticeable for the average driver but annyoing for me and makes the pedel feel a bit weird

2) lack of dust shields means calipers will need to be rebuilt if not properly cleaned etc.. I know a few VW guys who need to rebuild their calipers after a couple of years

But that doesn't mean, wilwoods won't perform. They are very good brakes. But spend a bit more and get stoptech. They are just phenominal.

·
Registered
242 Posts
A couple comments about the Wilwood kit

I was at my local Subaru dealer waiting for my new clutch to be installed and a customer just got the Wilwood kit installed on his WRX. The customer was talking to the parts mgr about the install and it sounded like there were some fitment issues (cutting/grinding) of the stock setup in order to get the Wilwoods to fit. I also noticed that the front calipers (6 pot) stuck out past the outer edge of the rotors by about 3/8", which looked sloppy to me. The parts mgr commented that it was a very difficult install that took several hours.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: A couple comments about the Wilwood kit

Flyboy said:
I was at my local Subaru dealer waiting for my new clutch to be installed and a customer just got the Wilwood kit installed on his WRX. The customer was talking to the parts mgr about the install and it sounded like there were some fitment issues (cutting/grinding) of the stock setup in order to get the Wilwoods to fit. I also noticed that the front calipers (6 pot) stuck out past the outer edge of the rotors by about 3/8", which looked sloppy to me. The parts mgr commented that it was a very difficult install that took several hours.

Yes, you do have to do some modifying for the rears to fit and it is time consuming, this is completely covered in the installation and templates are provided for grinding the brackets as well. But I personally think it was well worth it. Front 6pots and rotors not only work extremely well but look awesome, I dont see what your seeing about the calipers and rotors not "looking" right, not that I really care about the looks too much. I was strictly after getting maximum braking for my budget, which I got in spades.

There are easier packages to install, yes. better? ..well I'd have to see lots of factual data on each and every kit, not just unscientific opinions which amount to nothing.
The main data needed here is 60-0 thru 100+-0 distances and resistance to fade for each available kit for the WRX and tested on the WRX. No one has assembled all this information together to date. And I wouldnt trust it anyway unless it was done by an independent third party and not a brake manufacturer.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree, the Wilwoods look very nice.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LehighWRX said:
The only think I don't like about wilwood kits

1) The caliper is not stiff enough. Under track use, they tend to flex a bit. Not noticeable for the average driver but annyoing for me and makes the pedel feel a bit weird

2) lack of dust shields means calipers will need to be rebuilt if not properly cleaned etc.. I know a few VW guys who need to rebuild their calipers after a couple of years

But that doesn't mean, wilwoods won't perform. They are very good brakes. But spend a bit more and get stoptech. They are just phenominal.
see the thing is is i wanted to do this myself and save a little bit of money on the install, but i dont have the tools to grind and stuff, the wilwood's are no doubt the best for the money, but my friend who works at a local performance store told me he would look into both wilwood, and prodrive, i still think the wilwoods are worth the extra grinding, but what do i know

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
6 pots are just overkill for this car, regardless of what your doing. Theres only so much braking force you can apply before the tires break traction;) . That being said, I went with the Brembo 4 pot F50 kit with the STI rear brakes.

·
Registered
423 Posts
How do the subaru 4 pot calipers compare to the brembo 4 pots?

·
Registered
329 Posts
DEADPOOL said:
6 pots are just overkill for this car, regardless of what your doing. Theres only so much braking force you can apply before the tires break traction;) . That being said, I went with the Brembo 4 pot F50 kit with the STI rear brakes.
6-pots don't necessarily have more braking force than 4-pots. The AP 6-pot kit that uses 330mm rotors creates less brake torque on the front rotors than the stock brakes or the Brembo F50 kit. And thats a good thing in most situations.

pityr said:
How do the subaru 4 pot calipers compare to the brembo 4 pots?
Subaru 4 pots won't let you run rotors that are much bigger than stock so it really depends on why you need a brake upgrade. There are some kits that allow you to run bigger rotors than the 4-pots but I don't think there are any US companies that sell these. There is at least one company in the UK that does.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts