Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my WRX, but I'm constantly reminded that it isn't as fast as I tend to think it is. I'm stock except for:

Fog light covers (better aerodynamics +5hp)
STI Hood Scoop (more air/better cooling +10hp)
Upgraded Air Splitter (better air cooling +5hp)
Morette Headlights (better lighting +2hp)
Clear Sidemarkers (looks better +1hp)
Uplugged window brake light (looks better +1hp)
Cool Driver (+100hp)

So anyways...

Today I hit a light next to a red Toyota XRS. It had dark tint all around (like me), so I'm sure he couldn't see me, nor I him. I wasn't really planning on gunning it, 'cause we only had about 2 hundred feet before cars were lined up at the next light...But...

The light went green and he took off a bit fast. I pulled one of my slow, but 'ready to go' launches. i.e. When you rev it up to 3k and slip it for a bit. Well, I wasn't to keen on him taking me off the line so I gunned it when I was about at his door side. But, by the end of first I only had about 3 feet on him. I hit second and let off. He hit second and chirped (kept going). It got real loud at this point too! VVTL-i ?

I wonder if we had more space if he could have kept up...or even taken me...? I figured I'd shoot past him but I barely got a couple feet on him.

Another thing that struck me as odd is that he chirped after I shifted to second. Do those things have longer 1st gears than us(it's a 6 speed)? Or, am I just confused due to me hitting top of first so fast?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I believe the car does have a 6-speed (identical to the Celica drivetrain IIRC) and all I can say is...

It's all in the launch. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True true! :) I did hit a little lag on the launch, since I wasn't really prepared to go at it.

But, if it is all in the launch, are you saying that car is just as fast from a roll? :p It's 2800 lbs if I'm not mistaken, 180hp...

And despite all my kickarse mods...well...I'm technically stock :D

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It may not be faster in a roll, but if he LAUNCHED and you didn't he'd have a HUGE advantage. :D

The WRX has a number of factors that make it a KILLER on the launch and in the 1/8th mile - but it's sorely lacking in gearing/power/drivetrain efficiency to pull strong up top.

For instance, I'd beat stock LS1 A4 F-bodies here in the islands (my car runs 13.7's at TXS Stage 2 and stock automatic F-bodies run high(er)-13's - but got DECIMATED by the same car "on the roll"...

Long story short, if you aren't utilizing the full launch capability of the car you're giving up the lion's share of the advantage we have over other rides! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think that the Toyota XRS is also AWD , and he will not have the Turbo lag to deal with. So with a few mods on one of them and a stock WRX , the Toyota maybe a silent killer to look out for.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It will take more than a "few mods" to get this car to run with ours. 180hp is a long way from 225+hp, and @ 2965 it not light enough to make up the difference.

Who said drivers in a street race make all the difference anyway?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The XRS will not run with a WRX but it may surprise you off the line. Good launch and no lag time , the first 30ft could be tight. After that it should be all over.

·
Registered
59 Posts
the xrs is not available in the awd platform in the states. it should be, but it's not. so it had nothing to do with any awd launch he may have had, because he didn't have it.

you have around 27hp over him after you consider the weight difference (the retarded math of 10 hp for every 100 lbs.) so it shouldn't have been a contest, and you have much more torque than the xrs ever thought about.

he musta got a launch on you bad. i'd guess you're not driving the wrx like you stole it either (not that the celica gts motor is a slouch, it isn't).

·
Registered
339 Posts
The BIGGEST power difference is going to be the torque. The XRS/Vibe GT only has 135 lb/ft of torque. It's powerband is from 6000 - 8000 rpm. The WRX has 217 lb/ft. Therefore the Matrix/Vibe has no chance against a properly driven WRX. Your mistake was that you let off after shifting to second. If you would have kept going till the end of third you would have left that grocery getter so far behind it would need a time machine to catch up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
koyokid said:
If you would have kept going till the end of third you would have left that grocery getter so far behind it would need a time machine to catch up.
lol. indeed, wot that puppy and smack him. unless you're in break in period. then there's no wot for you.

sometimes you have to trick yourself into going wot. after halfway through your boost, you don't get any additional torque (stock), so you think you're there, but you're not. you do get extra hp though and it's sometimes necessary.

hopefully you have a boost gauge to tell the difference.

i'd love that race. just haven't found one who wants to play yet.

the old si hatchy wouldn't play with me yesterday either. i tried, but he wasn't having any of it from his big coffee can.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've test driven a Matrix XRS. That engine can only be combined with FWD. If you get AWD, your only option is the 130hp engine with an auto. The XRS is equipped with a 6 speed.

That car is pretty much dead until you hit 6000 rpm. Even then, the change in power at 6000 rpm on that car is still not the change we see when we hit 3000 rpm in our WRX's. Seriously, our power curve compared to that car is like a Viper compared to a WRX. The XRS engine was just so high strung/harsh and not near as smooth as the WRX

If you had launched hard, you would have probably put 2 car lengths on that XRS immediately and kept pulling away.

It's a nice all around utility vehicle but not a strong performer. I was not comfortable on curves at all. I was really surprised after the great reviews of it's handling. As far as an alternative to an SUV, I'd give it a big thumbs up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
koyokid said:
Your mistake was that you let off after shifting to second.
Actually, if I would have kept going through second gear, I'd probably also have went right through the people stopped at the next light!! :)

Oh, and platinum scooby...I've got 227hp, he's got 180 (assuming he's stock). That puts me at +47hp :D I guess I just lagged more then I realized and when I hit turbo I gained my distance.

And boy did I hear that thing start screaming at 6k rpm+ It seemed to come on out of nowhere.

·
Registered
59 Posts
bobafett said:

Oh, and platinum scooby...I've got 227hp, he's got 180 (assuming he's stock). That puts me at +47hp :D
actually, i'm factoring in his 200 lb. weight advantage, which is roughly equivalent to 20 hp using stupid math. so overall you'd have around a 27 to 30 hp advantage after factoring in your weight difference. it's all about power to weight, among other things. so what you think you have in hp isn't altogether an advantage on a car that weighs less than you do.

but you should have spanked him. darn lights. sounds like fun though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
platinum scooby said:
actually, i'm factoring in his 200 lb. weight advantage, which is roughly equivalent to 20 hp using stupid math.
Oh man...You said that the first time and it just didn't click! Busy day here :\

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've driven a Matrix and it is rather uninspiring below 6K. Still, if he went all out, I could see the Matrix keeping up with a 'half-assed' WRX. In an 03 Cobra, you could probably wait for the guy next to you to take off before you decide to engage. But in a stock WRX, you have to launch and go 'balls out'. Anything less will leave you vulnerable.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Two other things you'd also want to consider is the WRX has more drivetrain losses being that it is AWD. However, the XRS has nowhere near the linearity hp/torque curve of a WRX. After test driving the XRS, my stock WRX felt like a high torque V8.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts