ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new 2012 WRX 5 door and was hoping that you guys could give me some good advice on breaking in the new motor. I was told with my last WRX to keep it under 4k rpms for the first 1000 miles and that seemed to be good. I want to take advantage of the experts on here and see what has worked best for others. Thanks for the help.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
There is much debate.

My belief is that you should follow manufacturer spec in regards to engine break-in.

Reactions: MrToad

·
Registered
59 Posts
I followed the manual myself. I would stick to that. Just do your normal commute keeping it under 4k.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing that I thought was interesting that I hadnt heard was to try and avoid staying in one gear at a constant speed for a long time. Im going to stick to side streets just in case. Almost 200 miles on the car already, my commute is 40 per day so I should have her broken in pretty soon. Not that I plan on going balls to the wall, but it will be really nice to be able to feel that turbo pull. Thanks again....

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Read the manual but you should be redlining it once every 100 miles or so.

The only thing that I thought was interesting that I hadnt heard was to try and avoid staying in one gear at a constant speed for a long time.
The manual says exactly this...

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,222 Posts
wait i was looking thru manual. It doesn't say anything about breaking it in properly.
Your owner's manual does not instruct you on proper break-in? Mine has a prominent section. The gist is to not exceed 4K rpm, and to not maintain constant rpm for the first 1k miles. Yours may vary if you have a different model year.

Reactions: MrToad

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Read the manual but you should be redlining it once every 100 miles or so.

The manual says exactly this...
For sure, thats where I got it from. I was only saying that this is something that I would have never thought of, and didnt pay attention to with my last Subaru. I put 1000 miles on my last car in a few days almost entirely on the freeway. Wish I wouldnt have done that, but luckily I didnt have any issues (that I know of)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,222 Posts
It is unlikely you will have issues.

One reason the expert opinions and associated mythology about break-in persist IMO is that most modern motors do OK despite, not because, of the advice...

I tend to follow manufacturer instructions since I'm vested in trusting them -- after all I have already given them thousands of dollars, trusting their car will hold together. May be faulty logic, and may ignore vast manufacturer conspiracies to reduce their warranty claims without regard for longer-term longevity (this is a not infrequent criticism of trusting the manual...) but it has worked OK so far...

·
Registered
94 Posts
It is unlikely you will have issues.

One reason the expert opinions and associated mythology about break-in persist IMO is that most modern motors do OK despite, not because, of the advice...

I tend to follow manufacturer instructions since I'm vested in trusting them -- after all I have already given them thousands of dollars, trusting their car will hold together. May be faulty logic, and may ignore vast manufacturer conspiracies to reduce their warranty claims without regard for longer-term longevity (this is a not infrequent criticism of trusting the manual...) but it has worked OK so far...
I have a question about breaking in the car. I am actually picking up my 2013 wrx sedan today and in about two weeks I am driving from Northern California to Souther California for school taking about 6-7 hours of driving. I heard that you should keep it under 4k RPM, under 55 MPH and what not and my question is regarding whether it is good for the car driving on the highway for a long period of time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts