Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 575mi on my new 03 WRX. I know the manual says to keep it under 4000rpm which I have been doing (mostly under 3000 actually) and for 1000mi. I was just wondering if there are any tricks/tips you guys want to share for doing during the breakin period to yield better engine performance and/or reliability after breakin?? I also heard it was good to vary the engine rpm during breakin period, but does this mean keep it under 4000rpm still?

Also- exactly after 1000mi I can go fast or ?? should I go alittle over to be safe? Its KILLLING me not to go FAAST, but i guess a good breakin is more important

Thanks,
Mike- :D

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
vary them, but keep it under 4k. if you want to once you hit 1k start stepping it up gradually. only goin up to 5k, only goin up to 6k etc. a search on this will help also. but people have many different opinions on break in

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
yeah i dont know i guess i agree with eli...but i also take into consideration the "hard break in" technique...i dont really know which is better, just make sure your engine is at normal op temp..if you are going to do a hard break in.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've seen so many conflicting theories on a proper break-in. When we were prepping a moto-x bike after a top-end rebuild, we'd get it up to temp and let 'er rip. Of course, you rebuilt those things every two races or so.

I think manufacturers tend to be conservative. I don't think wailing on a car right off the lot is the best thing, either.

I went half way. At 500 miles, I let it get over 4K. I haven't redlined it yet, and I don't start driving fast until it is well up to temperature. No bad noises and no noticeable change in performance.

I remember driving it home the first night, wondering how I was ever going to keep it under 4K. It just seems to wake up at 3K and take off like a missile. Discipline, I guess.

Josh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts