Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
i've read that before, and laugh more each time I read it. under no circumstances would I do that during the break-in. it's more important to me to have things seal correctly, then to have a so-called 'aggressive' ecu, when in actuallity the ecu learns as you drive, so it will happen regardless (assuming you drive 'aggressivly' and/or reset the ecu, etc).

unless there is something I am completely unaware of, for rings, etc to seal correctly you should keep the rpm's low.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
If you wanna take advice from a guy who just fell in the mud...be my guest....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:rotfl: :thumbup: .......that was silly...............................somehow his theory just doesnt fit........im missing something and just cant put my finger on it.................

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Now Ive heard that you are not supposed to keep a constant RPM during break in. So I guess a 250mile trip each way would be out of the question the day I get my car? It would be all highway to get to my destination, would this be a good idea or should I just wait to take the trip when the engine is broken in?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Bump.

I would really like to know about the not keeping the same speed part of the break in. I want to drive her on a trip to upstate NY. Its about 250 miles of mostly(200miles) highway. Would this be good or bad.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
PolarisSnT said:
Bump.

I would really like to know about the not keeping the same speed part of the break in. I want to drive her on a trip to upstate NY. Its about 250 miles of mostly(200miles) highway. Would this be good or bad.
I don't think Subaru says it is bad to keep it at the same speed. It is the same RPM. So if you just go the same speed but shift around while you are cruising, I think you will be fine. When I was breaking my WRX in, I had to drive to work a lot in it, so cruising at 60, I was shift from fifth to fourth and third all the time. You can downshift to third or fourth on the highway and modulate your speed within +/- 5mph of the speed limit and be fine as well. I don't think you will have too much trouble with the break in on your trip.

Also, if you are driving in upstate New York, won't there be plenty of inclines for you to go up and down, thereby altering your RPMs?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Your instruction manual says to vary the speed. So why not do just that during your trip? For instance, drive 65mph for a bit, then drive 70mph, then back to 60mph, etc...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Thats probably what I was going to do just shift between gears while on the highway.

zoophagy: Once Im there thats not the problem. Its the fact that I have to get there. I live in Staten Island so I coul either take the Turnpike to 80 to 87 north(NYS Thruway/Northway) or take 287 to 87 norht. I think Id take the turnpike because its more of a difference in speed. I really want to do this break in thing right.

·
Registered
209 Posts
He's right

He is on the right track. If you want a maximum performance engine, you need to follow his general guidelines.
The factory breakin guidelines are to ensure the fewest possible warranty issues from idiots that don't know when they are killing their cars. It is not to give you the best running engine.

Here are some links to other discussions of engine breakin.

http://www.wrxfanatics.com/index.php?showtopic=5706
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131651
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=348158

Larry

·
Registered
525 Posts
PolarisSnT said:
Now Ive heard that you are not supposed to keep a constant RPM during break in. So I guess a 250mile trip each way would be out of the question the day I get my car? It would be all highway to get to my destination, would this be a good idea or should I just wait to take the trip when the engine is broken in?
I don't think it's recomended to keep a constant rpm.. You should vary your rpm and engine load under the breake-in period !

And I think I've read "no syntectic oil" too some where.. just use what it came with..

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I read the one on WRXfanatics.com and it seems to be good. It got me thinking though, my car came with 19 miles on her, I wonder what happened in those first 49 miles that I should know about it. Chances are someone abused her but Im not sure. I hope that it wasnt, I dont want any damage. I know Im going to stick to this break in like glue. Then again I do want to get the most of my engine but then again reliability is more important to me.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
larry, do you have an up/dp? if so, when you got it, did you just blast through the rpm's right away?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, I'll change it. Realized what didnt fit in that technique. During the initial break-in process, you are effectively tempering the internals. Running the crud out of the engine right of the bat will wear down the components prematurely. Tempering allows the metal to set and "harden". Same thing happens with jewelry. You buy a new ring and resize it, they have no problem doing it. Take that same ring and wear it for a year and they have to heat it up to reomve the "tempering".

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To break in a new STi, you need to drive it for 1200 miles, keeping the rpm's under 4000 and drive it like a granny, and vary the revs such as in town stop and go driving. This allows the internals to seat properly and make a better seal. I wouldnt recomend buying a car with over 20 miles on it due to the fact that you dont know how the car was driven for those miles. Youve gotta remember that this is a performance car and test drives are bound to be "spirited".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts