ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine who use to own a WRX tells me that during the 1000 break in period the ECU limits boost, thus reducing power during this time. Is this accurate?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Nope. I'd find a new friend to take advice from...

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,205 Posts
It does beg the question though at least in my mind whether limiting timing and boost via firmware during certain conditions would be reasonably feasible. Say, coolant below 70' and oil below 70' could result in a timing or boost or simply RPM limit. This would make the car less appealing to bank robbers, kidnappers etc (I remember the Alfa 75, a quick nimble 4 door preferred by both sides of the law once upon a time as both a getaway and pursuit vehicle...), but would or could be otherwise interesting.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
It does beg the question though at least in my mind whether limiting timing and boost via firmware during certain conditions would be reasonably feasible. Say, coolant below 70' and oil below 70' could result in a timing or boost or simply RPM limit. This would make the car less appealing to bank robbers, kidnappers etc (I remember the Alfa 75, a quick nimble 4 door preferred by both sides of the law once upon a time as both a getaway and pursuit vehicle...), but would or could be otherwise interesting.

That's actually a really good idea.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,205 Posts
Not mine; I think at least one BMW does something similar but no boost is involved there.

Now I miss the Alfa 75!

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Yeah BMW is the only company I'm aware of that does this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts