Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should i use special non detergent oil for an engine rebuild?/Special Break in Oil for the engine rebuild? or just use regular 5w/30 oil (2013 WRX Rebuild)

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
What did the builder tell you to use? Is it just a stock rebuild or modified?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stock rebuild with some built ons. and Any oil i want but that non detergent would be great/ something high in zinc

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Most companies have gone away from using special break in oils. The only specific "break in" oil I've ever seen was by Lucas and it was a single grade oil and not a multiweight. Where heavier weight break in oils really show their stuff is in built engines where gaps are larger to account for excess heat and pressures from high strung engines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My engine guy and I talked about a great many things while he changed my 258 i6 into a 4.6 stroker. One thing he was very adamant about was breaking in with conventional oil. He brought it up to me several times over the 3 months that I was visiting the shop. Not sure if it is the same for these boxer engines but the man does build $20,000 race motors, and I am sure he knows more about it than most of us.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the guys whos building mine said a 5w-40 in high zinc was the way to go and he builds 700whp&up Subies

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Well, use what the builder recommends. He knows his builds. High zinc oil typically is more sought after for flat tappet cams. I don't believe we have them so I'm sure you'll be fine either way but I would advise you to heed the builders recommendation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts