Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i have a 2017 wrx with 1,500kms on it and i was wondering opinions on doing an oil change now versus waiting a bit. some people are saying its good while some people say keep in factory oil as its needed for the break in. also that the metal shavings will be minimal due to the filter and just modern engine type. i was thinking maybe wait until 4,000 km or something. thoughts?

·
Registered
129 Posts
The standard operating procedure as described in the owner's manual says, i believe, to do the first oil change at 6k miles, which is the standard interval.

However, some subies have been known to burn a bit of oil, so some say to change @ 5k to avoid issues.

As for the metal shavings and such...I personally changed my oil at 1,200 miles for that reason, and was told by my mechanic that there were a decent amount in the oil. It can't hurt (unless you're strapped for money) to get it changed at 1500, but at the same time dealer recs say to wait until 6k, so I doubt you will have too many issues adhering to the manual.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i figured i will be save to do it at 5k, yet i would like to clear away any break in debris if there is any. but then i am wondering if i should only get break in factory oil again if the engine still needs it. or if i should just do it early at 1500km

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
There is no such thing as factory break in oil. It's just the regular oil

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
I do not care what filter is used, there are smaller metal particles from cylinder ring breakin, crankshaft bearings doing same, both that are not caught by the filter.

I alway get an extra oil and filter change done between 500 and 1,000 miles done for that reason. Cheap insurance.
Particles during break in will be way bigger than the rest of the life of the engine. If it doesn't catch them it won't catch anything.

Stop being obtuse. The filter is more than capable of capturing anything of danger to your engine all the time.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I agree that the OEM filter will trap/catch the larger metal particles.

The OP ask for "thoughts" on an earlier than usual oil and filter change. So do, many do not. Thankfully, we each get to choose how we take care of our vehicles, what we spend our money on, or not.

I have driven 2,000,000 miles in my life on my own vehicles and never had an engine problem. On every single one of my new vehicles, at 500 miles I changed my oil and filter (using replacement break in oil when the OEM did). I change the oil because the smaller particles that do not get caught in the OEM filter are still going round and round in our new motors, sanding/abrading metal parts, and getting rid of the oil at 500 miles, removes the very small metal, caused during initial break in process.

Any if no one else on this forum changes their oil early, fine with me, for I was just responding to the OP's request for "thoughts."

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
I agree that the OEM filter will trap/catch the larger metal particles.

The OP ask for "thoughts" on an earlier than usual oil and filter change. So do, many do not. Thankfully, we each get to choose how we take care of our vehicles, what we spend our money on, or not.

I have driven 2,000,000 miles in my life on my own vehicles and never had an engine problem. On every single one of my new vehicles, at 500 miles I changed my oil and filter (using replacement break in oil when the OEM did). I change the oil because the smaller particles that do not get caught in the OEM filter are still going round and round in our new motors, sanding/abrading metal parts, and getting rid of the oil at 500 miles, removes them.

Any if no one else on this forum changes their oil early, fine with me, for I was just responding to the OP's request for "thoughts."
Opinions are just that. I was offering facts.

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
As long as you're concerned with warranty coverage, follow the factory maintenance schedule in regards to oil change intervals. Once you're no longer concerned with warranty coverage, use a service like Blackstone that performs used oil analysis to help guide you in the proper brand/weight/interval you should be using on your vehicle.

If the manufacturer felt it would be beneficial to dump the oil due to "break-in", they would have it in the maintenance schedule. While they are only fiscally responsible for engine replacements that happen during their warranty period, if they had a bunch of engine failures in a reasonable lifetime (e.g., 150K miles), they would suffer from long-term reliability ratings, which would also be bad for business.

Premature oil change intervals do little more than waste time/money. A proper oil filter will provide the necessary filtration, trapping the necessary items. Proper oil type/weights will provide proper lubrication. Proper OCI will help make sure that both the filter and oil continue to provide said properties.

The only reason to alter the OCI would be if you have data to validate your reasoning, which is done via a UOA. As I stated earlier, if you're worried about warranty coverage, you should follow Subaru's directions because failure to comply with factory OCI could result in a denied claim the same way a modified car could. Once you start modifying for power (either software and/or hardware) or your factory warranty expires, I would advise you start looking at performing UOAs to make sure everything is in line and determining what oil / filter / interval works best for your situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts