Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2017 WRX for about a month now. bought it with 48 miles on it. About 2 weeks in it seems like the breaks are grinding. no sound, just a rough pedal feel that is more pronounced at slower speeds. almost like sandpaper between the rotor and pad. Now the breaks are starting to squeak along with the grinding feeling as I stop. Im not overly concerned about squeak as I am with the feel of the brakes. I don't really feel the grinding off the highway as much as city driving. This is my first Subaru and new car. I have taken back to the dealership twice and they cannot reproduce the rough pedal feel and/or basically write it off as normal. Is this part of the break in or should i raise Cain at the dealership?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
If you are concerned, go talk to the dealership about it as it's still under warranty. It doesn't sound normal.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
We have no way of telling. A lot of this depends on what you are used to. I find the WRX brakes rough feeling and scratchy also coming from a Regal which is all about smooth. I also find my brakes to squeal slightly and often since the rotors haze over with surface rust very easily and the squeal is the rust coming off. This is all normal for performance oriented brake rotors and pads. Without feeling it for myself I'd say it "is" normal (for the WRX).....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have no way of telling. A lot of this depends on what you are used to. I find the WRX brakes rough feeling and scratchy also coming from a Regal which is all about smooth. I also find my brakes to squeal slightly and often since the rotors haze over with surface rust very easily and the squeal is the rust coming off. This is all normal for performance oriented brake rotors and pads. Without feeling it for myself I'd say it "is" normal (for the WRX).....[/QUOTE
Okay good to know Im not the only one. My last car was a VW gli which was more pedestrian than the wrx.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
could certainly just be you getting used to a performance oriented brake setup. The brakes on my STi make noise as well. Just part of the game.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts