ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone give me the specs on this car (1/4, 0-60) because I got into it with one tonight and I thought I coulda smoked him worse than I did - only beat him by like a car but I launched low and had my ac on because of the defogger. My brother has an 04 GLS turbo and he cant keep up with me but this GLI gave me a very nice run for my money - driver was cool as hell too - after we raced we just paced eachother with our windows down tossing complements back and fourth for like three miles. He had a catback and an intake - that was it. My car is just about stock other than a K&N filter, silencer delete elbow, and the grounding mod -which are all together good for no more than about 2 hp I am assuming lol.

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
They're pretty decent cars (reliability questions aside). 180hp and a turbo that spools REALLY DAMN FAST :D I think a mildly modded one should almost keep up with a stock WRX from a roll. IIRC, they trap in the low 90mph range...

Good kill! :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well supposeldy the GLI has 20-30 more hp than a gls 1.8t or VR6 so I am wondering about it a bit more now than I was before I raced one.....Absolutely stunning looking car though - factory 18's by BBS, nice spoiler, factory ground effects, recaro seats, nice package for about the price of a new rex....BUT......
NO AWD!!!! and typical VW relaibility issues forever plaguing it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
210 hp all german motor. nice ride. 3.0L 30v I think. sticker is rated at 200hp but I was told it was more.

·
Registered
897 Posts
i think the new gli is actually a 1.8t, not a 3.0! the two new racier cars from vw is the golf r32 and the jetta gli 1.8t. i would give the gli probably high 14's low 15's best.

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
I looked it up. The GLI can be had with the VR6 or the 1.8T. Weighs 3,100lbs. with the 1.8T and has 173 lb./ft. of torque. Also has a 6-speed. Nice car, but I'd say low 15s at best.

The VR6 weighs about 80lbs. more, but has 200hp and 195lb.-ft. Probably also good for low 15s.

These come out costing as much or more than a WRX, though. :eek3:

·
Registered
215 Posts
So that's only about 100lbs less than a WRX, 27-47hp less, and fwd. I've heard they're harder to mod as well. Still a nice car, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money.

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
WRX sedan weighs 3,085lbs.

The 1.8T motor can be modded pretty well. Just the infamous "chip" does a lot. A guy I know in Phoenix ran high 13's in his Passat with bolt-ons and spun his tires halfway down the track every time. :)

There are some insane VR6 setups out there, but they're expensive...

·
Registered
897 Posts
yeah, vr6's can be made into beasts. All im looking into doing in my r32 is low 13's high 12's. if i get the supercharger, ill probably be running high 12's, but as of now, im looking into getting a evoms cai, chip, and i already have the exhaust restrictor mod... hoping for a 13.5 at 100+mph!!!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
My friend has a jetta gli... it's a decent car if you can look past the "girlie car" reputation it has. It's a v6 200hp 6-spd. I've raced him when i was cobb stg1 and recently stg2. Highway rolls from about 60mph... it's not that close of a race. Maybe stock would be a little closer but stg1 I pulled pretty easily. Stg2 is even worse. It has some nice torque down low.. nothing crazy but enough to beat his friend's rsx type-s from a dig.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I just took one last night with 2 other people in my car. I didn't lunch just took it nice and easy out of first and by the end of the 1st i had about cars length, threw it in second and it was all over. I am cobb st1 bTW. and he was a vr6 stock i think.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The GLI is a 24v 2.8 vr6 motor with a six speed manual. Rated around 200 hp and 195 foot pounds of torque. Vw is usually true about their horsepower ratings but fairly low about their torque numbers. The old 12v vr6 motors were rated at 174hp and 181 for torque but many measured around 190 of torque at the wheels and about 150 for hp. The vr6 motor is a v6 set at a 15 degree angle instead of a typical 60 degree for v6s. They behave like an inline six, smooth and torquey. My wife drives a vr6 and I use to have a wrx. I could kill the vr6 from a dig with the wrx, but highway speeds would be questionable.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you genuinely had your A/C on, and your car is stock... that explains your lack of authoritY

its been dyno proven that the compressor hogs 15-20 wheel hp! So if its worth posting, its worth turning off the A/C next time
3100 lbs, and 150whp is about exciting as a Jeep Cherokee 4.0L I6

Cobb stage II will dish out quite a bit more whooparse, then you can stop eeking by so-so cars, and start playin hardball with e36M3's and 350Z's

·
Registered
158 Posts
harder to mod?

hmm...someone needs to do some reading up

bone138 said:
So that's only about 100lbs less than a WRX, 27-47hp less, and fwd. I've heard they're harder to mod as well. Still a nice car, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money.
capable of over 400+ on the stock internals no problem, great gains to be had on the stock turbo, (230+ whp) and enough torque to make a dozen honda fan-boys jealous...

i have a passat, and 13's on the stock turbo isnt happening, maybe with slicks, but it cost a lot to get these heavy FWD cars moving...

...for example, a 03 1.8T last week at E-town, put down a 15.0 3 times with nothing but a CAI, and eventually got a 14.9xx for his last run...there were cobb st.2 WRX's not doing that well...

ive beaten and kept up with my fair share of WRX's

·
Registered
158 Posts
the VR6's really arent a tuners platform, because by the time you dump an = amt. of $ into a VR, a 1.8 is faster 9x outta 10...gotta love the way those exhaust sound when opened up with some col cams in em though!

ellinopedo182 said:
yeah, vr6's can be made into beasts. All im looking into doing in my r32 is low 13's high 12's. if i get the supercharger, ill probably be running high 12's, but as of now, im looking into getting a evoms cai, chip, and i already have the exhaust restrictor mod... hoping for a 13.5 at 100+mph!!!!!
have you ran your R yet? two guys here in etown have been runnin some low 14's, and one at a 13.9 as of yet i think...i think an R would be hard pressed to tap 12's all motor, but s/c'd i dont see why not...mid, maybe low-mid 13's with i/h/e/cams/ecu & weight reduction...not much room for power to be amde on the motor....

·
Registered
215 Posts
8urVTEC said:

...for example, a 03 1.8T last week at E-town, put down a 15.0 3 times with nothing but a CAI, and eventually got a 14.9xx for his last run...there were cobb st.2 WRX's not doing that well...

ive beaten and kept up with my fair share of WRX's
I don't claim to be an expert on the VWs. Maybe you're right and the VW engines can hold over 400hp on stock internals, I don't know. But numerous Cobb Stage 2 WRXs running >14.9 is BS. I'm not a great straight line driver either, but with my Cobb stage 2 I can manage consistant runs well into the 13s.

·
Registered
158 Posts
im glad your capable of such times, congratulations

bone138 said:
I don't claim to be an expert on the VWs. Maybe you're right and the VW engines can hold over 400hp on stock internals, I don't know. But numerous Cobb Stage 2 WRXs running >14.9 is BS. I'm not a great straight line driver either, but with my Cobb stage 2 I can manage consistant runs well into the 13s.
;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
8urVTEC said:
im glad your capable of such times, congratulations

;)
Well, thanks. The point is that a monkey is capable of such times with a Cobb Stage 2. For you to claim that a 1.8T beating MULTIPLE Stage 2 WRXs with high 14s is BS. Either those WRXs were NOT stage 2 or those drivers were extremely inexperienced. Either way, it's nothing to brag about.;)

·
Registered
664 Posts
my cobb stage II has dined on more than a few APR chipped VW's
big deal...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts