Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. hope to get a little insight on my problem. Today after Purchasing a brand new 2019 wrx, had 67 miles on it. On the drive home I pulled out the dealers and went to hop on the highway. Short distance, once I hit 3rd I ground the gear a little. I thought it was my fault. Thought really nothing of it like oops. Drove 20 mins home on high way. As soon as I get off and hit 3rd agin it grinds a little. At this point I’m like, what the!!!! The next light I made sure I smashed that clutch to the floor each shift and sure enough 3rd gear grind........ so i had a couple more lights left and I couldn’t take it back to the dealers till the morning I’d figured I’d see a couple things. Coming up on a red light I down shifted from 5th to 4th thin the 3rd and agin on down shift got a grind. Only gear doing it. So last idea was to double clutch all gears for consistency sake. 1...2.... fine.... going into 3rd grind...... at this point I decided to skip 3rd for the remainder of my trip home and I plan to skip it all the way back to the dealers in the morning.

So in turn I think I have a bad synchro for 3rd???? And what causes such a issue?????? I figured if I can shift in and out it would be a one time grind but every single shift...... I’m confused and hoping my new car doesn’t have tranny probs in first 100miles...........

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Could be a synchro, could be shift technique, maybe loose linkages or something.

Luckily it's under warranty and they will fix it for free and we don't have to sit and guess about it. When anything is mass produced problems can occur, I wouldn't get hung up on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ty for your input. It’s back at the dealers now. Confirmed by tech manager every time u try 3rd it grinds. They put me in a rental for free. I will give an update once they find the problem. Has anyone else had problems with synchros right off the bat with a new wrx???

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
There are a lot of transmission complaints, mostly around the clutch and the throw out bearing. This is the first I've heard of a issue like this though.

Don't let it get you down on the vehicle, the gearbox in the new wrx seems to be viewed far more favorably than the old 5 speeds that were made of glass.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
I had transmission problems in my 2014 WRX as well. Third and fourth gear. Happened around 50k something miles. Seems to be common with these cars... especially the WRX's lol. How reliable. :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stage 2 WRX with OTS Cobb tune, just had my 3rd clutch failure. I've been driving Hondas and Subies for almost 40 years and never once had a clutch even slip. I like the power but drive moderately, never once dumped the clutch, never once even rally raced. As soon as I replace this clutch I'm going to have to sell or trade because my tires are lasting longer than my clutches. While I understand that tuning carries risk, this is absurd. Oh and I've had the 'squeaky TOB' problem as well, not sure if that has contributed to 3 melted clutches in < 60K miles but all I can say is if you are thinking of buying a WRX it you may want to reconsider and lease instead. Great fun car but only an idiot will keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result...

·
Æternum
15,555 Posts
Stage 2 WRX with OTS Cobb tune, just had my 3rd clutch failure. I've been driving Hondas and Subies for almost 40 years and never once had a clutch even slip. I like the power but drive moderately, never once dumped the clutch, never once even rally raced. As soon as I replace this clutch I'm going to have to sell or trade because my tires are lasting longer than my clutches. While I understand that tuning carries risk, this is absurd. Oh and I've had the 'squeaky TOB' problem as well, not sure if that has contributed to 3 melted clutches in < 60K miles but all I can say is if you buy it you may want to lease it. Great fun car but only an idiot will keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result...
That's surprising. Something is wrong.

What year WRX and what were the symptoms? Just a slipping clutch?

When the clutch was replaced, was the pressure plate and throwout bearing also replaced? How was the condition of the flywheel?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts