Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed EBC Green pads on the front of my WRX, but they work for sh*t, as well as create more dust than the stock pads! And now I am told that they can mess up the rotors. It was suggested to me that I should try Porterfield pads - does anyone else have some suggestions???? I need these for SCCA Solo II, so I don't want full race pads where you need to be on the brakes for 3 blocks before they grip - I need a pad that will grip right away, but could also last at some track events as well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I used to use KVR Carbon/Kevlar pads in my 3000GT. They worked pretty good, but I havn't checked if they make them for our cars yet. Hardly any break dust and gripped good.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
rocky,

Got yor pm, but my answer was too long- imagine that. EBC greens don't have the best rep as you've probably figured out by now, I've never used them, just based on what I've heard/read. the Porterfields that you would probably want to look at are the R-4S's street/autox pad for occasional track days. They seem to have a pretty good rep, however i read a few threads/posts complainging of fitment problems speciffically back shields and clips not fitting well. One guy had to do quite a bit of work to get them to work. This may not be issue now, but worth checking. After much thought, I went w/ Endless pads- very highly thought of in Japan (racing circles), very well tested, most applications low dust/noise, good cold performance. I ended up w/ the NA-Y's front and back (sent me the wrong fronts-so I don't have them yet). These are their street/autox pads. They also have NA-S's which are a step up (originally what I ordered for the fronts-but nobody had them). They also have the CCX which is another step up- definitely suitable for track, but still a good cold performer (autox). The down side to the Endless is the price- very spendy. Check out godspeeds site as he carries them. Also check out Endless USA's site- good description of all the pads. One other pad to consider is the Mintex 1155- their version of a street/autox/light track pad.

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hawk HP Plus fronts & Porterfield R4-S rears

I installed the Hawk HP Plus pads on the front and Porterfield R4-S on the rear. Both were purchased from Porterfield (949) 548-4470. The fronts were $141 and the rears were $79, plus shipping.

The Hawks are great. No warm-up, and the hotter the better. Not grabby, good, progressive feel.

I had to grind the mounting tabs on the Porterfield pads to get the right fit, but not a problem. They were initially too tight, and wouldn't allow the pad to be released from the rotor when the brake was released. If you install these pads, and it feels like your brakes are locked-up, that's the problem. Nothing a dremel tool can't cure.

Curtis

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've tried the Potterfields and they are good....infact very good. but as you have mentioned, you don't want to brake for 3 blocks before they warm up.

Currently I'm using Metal Masters (from http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/susp.htm#brakes) and they are great for everyday driving. I even tried 'em on 2 track events and they work great. Would also recommend a flush with a higher temp brake fluid (ATE Super Blue, Motul, etc).
My very humble 2 cents
Suresh

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the Mintex 1155s. What can I say perfect fit great performance. Even cold they grip then just get better. I love them.

Owen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.