ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should i even bother wit the factory brakes or should i just get new brakes installed asap?

·
Registered
184 Posts
What's wrong with the factory brakes? If you want your car to stop shorter or faster, you'd need better tires, not better or bigger brakes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Bigger isn't always better. Look at the Brembos on the STI, they add a tremendous amount of unsprung weight to the car, and dont stop the car any shorter than WRX brakes do. The only advantage to bigger brakes is their resistance to fade. But unless you are using the car for road course or stage rally, you'll never be able to get the brakes that hot.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Larger rotors offer greater mechanical stopping force. Many big brake kits can come be bought with light weight rotors, and calipers, reducing both sprung and unsprung weight. Lightweight rotors can be purchased for use with Brembos also.

All other things being equal, i.e. materials, caliper design, fluid, tires, etc., a larger diameter rotor will stop a given car faster because it produces a greater torque.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,439 Posts
Except that for the OP to be asking in that manner, it is unlikely the car needs bigger brakes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You can lock up the brakes just the same on a WRX.as you can on an STI. The tires are the limiting factor. As long as you have enough braking force to lock up a tire, then you have more braking force than the car is capable of utilizing. Larger brakes do not stop a car shorter or faster.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I guess that's true. We are approaching it from 2 different angles. In an ideal world, with no loss of traction under heavy braking, larger rotors would stop a car faster. So really great tires and huge brakes could stop a car faster, because they do in fact push a car to the point of traction loss faster because of more torque applied. In a real situation I concede the point you are right. Despite my initial inclination to say that greater braking torque stops a car faster, it just gets you to lose traction faster.

You're right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's wrong with the factory brakes? If you want your car to stop shorter or faster, you'd need better tires, not better or bigger brakes.
sorry for the long reply, reason being from what I seen in reviews for the car, it seems that the brakes are a weak point,
due to im guessing rapid fade?

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Nihte21 said:
sorry for the long reply, reason being from what I seen in reviews for the car, it seems that the brakes are a weak point,
SD_GR said:
Except that for the OP to be asking in that manner, it is unlikely the car needs bigger brakes.
What are you trying to do with the car?

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,731 Posts
Assuming the brakes on the 2012 wrx are the same as the 2009, they are more than fine. I actually liked the bite of the oem pads better than the stoptechs I got. The only time you will see brake fade is after coming down from triple digits quickly. So, yes if you are doing any sort of racing which requires lots of braking (ie autox ) then you will need better brakes. But if you are just driving normally, with some spirited romps occasionally...huge brake upgrades aren't required by any means.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Assuming the brakes on the 2012 wrx are the same as the 2009, they are more than fine. I actually liked the bite of the oem pads better than the stoptechs I got. The only time you will see brake fade is after coming down from triple digits quickly. So, yes if you are doing any sort of racing which requires lots of braking (ie autox ) then you will need better brakes. But if you are just driving normally, with some spirited romps occasionally...huge brake upgrades aren't required by any means.
This is pretty much what I was looking for, Thank you very much for your help!

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
spirited09wrx said:
I actually liked the bite of the oem pads better than the stoptechs I got.
You're the first person I've seen say that :shrug:

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,731 Posts
You're the first person I've seen say that :shrug:
Yea, Idk...my oem pads used to just lock down right away, the stoptechs have always seemed to have a bit more sponge that bite with the initial push.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts