ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone use Brakeman Rotors?

Anyone have these? Any thoughts notions or input?

Only reason I ask is that I just made an appointment w/ XXTuning in CT and Danny recommended the Brakeman rotors.

I'll be doing the Carbotech Panthers for the pads along w/ new stainless steel lines and brake fluid.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
I've not heard anything bad about them.

The thing that bothers me is their literature which is full of snake oil. They sell things like a "convoluted" rotor that is better because........well, it's not round like a regular rotor and round is bad because.......well, regular rotors are round. I see these commonly on custom Harleys but never in racing applications.....I guess because F1 teams are old fashion and stuck on stupid round rotors......

Similarly, they sell a laminated steel rotor that is much better because it is steel and not cast and everyone knows that steel is better than iron and cast metal sucks. :rolleyes: Stupid old fashion WRC, Champ Car, Winston Cup and ALMS factory teams have their head in the sand using worthless cast iron. Everyone knows its weak and rusts........Brembo and AP obviously don't know thing one about brakes........

I think they'd probably be fine but personally I'd stay away from gimmick products. If I were you I'd go with DBA rotors or just about any cast iron rotor depending on what you want to spend.

C

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
I have never heard of them. I would just go with Stoptech rotors personally.

·
Registered
173 Posts
GV27 said:
they sell a laminated steel rotor that is much better because it is steel and not cast and everyone knows that steel is better than iron and cast metal sucks. :rolleyes: Stupid old fashion WRC, Champ Car, Winston Cup and ALMS factory teams have their head in the sand using worthless cast iron. Everyone knows its weak and rusts........Brembo and AP obviously don't know thing one about brakes........

I think they'd probably be fine but personally I'd stay away from gimmick products.

The laminated steel contruction enables a higher heat exchange surface inside the ventilation channels, that's unquestionable. However, they do not state how good the friction of steel is in comparison of cast iron, and I could not find out, even after giving them a call. Anybody know?

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Claudius said:
The laminated steel contruction enables a higher heat exchange surface inside the ventilation channels, that's unquestionable. However, they do not state how good the friction of steel is in comparison of cast iron, and I could not find out, even after giving them a call. Anybody know?
Dunno about friction - I'm not sure its really an issue - but steel doesn't distribute heat as quickly and evenly as cast iron. Plus, Brakeman makes a big deal about cast iron cracking, but I have to wonder about the lamination process. I've had a lot of laminated products (e.g. Skis, skateboard decks, etc.) come apart on me. And it's very rare for a cast iron rotor to actually come apart - even if they do show surface cracks. One page on Brakeman's site has a picture a broken Winston Cup rotor that came apart for "no apparent reason at all". I bet the team and manufacturer could tell you EXACTLY why that particular rotor failed.

But really, I don't think anyone on this board (especially me) has the metallurgy and materials engineering knowledge to properly evaluate a product like this. But I point to the folks that do - big-budget factory race teams at the highest level of the sport. Where carbon is against the rules they use good old-fashion vented cast iron in a round shape. I guarantee that outfits like Audi, Bentley, Ford, Penske, Swift and Lola employ whole gangs of metallurgists and materials engineers.

If Brakeman offered conventional products and sill insisted that something different was better, I might be more inclined to believe them. Instead every product they sell has a gimmick of some sort. I don't really want to be their beta tester personally.

C

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
....so just get stoptechs and be set. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
My dad's a prof. at Stanford in the Materials Science and Engineering department. I asked him about this stuff and he said that laminated steel is a 'sketchy' material to use for anything because you introduce a bonding agent to get the layers to stick together. This means that when they get hot, the steel and whatever they use to stick it together will expand at different rates so there is a good chance of weakening the whole thing everytime you drive. Or if they're welded together, it might as well be one piece of steel. So basically you want brake rotors to be cast or forged as one piece to begin with. Also, he said of any technology he's looked into for strong brake rotors, he'd go with the cryo-then-heat-treated rotors. And since there are places to get just about any type of rotor (OEM, Brembo, etc.) cryo treated, that's prolly the best way to go if you have an unlimited budget. If money is an issue, go with cast iron...they'll almost never fail and rusting isn't an issue unless you have a set from before they even made WRX's because surface rust means nothing, and it would take years and years for rust to penetrate into the structural parts of a brake rotor. A lot of the other people on this thread have thngs right...lamination in high-stress or high-heat situations limits longevity, steel doesn't dissipate heat well, and the big-time-pros use cast iron.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts