Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im looking to upgrade my stock brakes and rotors. Im looking into the DBA street series rotors with hawk ceramic brake pads.

Does anyone suggest another brand comparable to this? Im looking to keep it around 600 to 700$

ALSO!

The person who owned the car before me painted the calipers black. I hate this and want to remove it. About half the black paint has worn off showing the original red paint. Any idea on how to remove the black without damaging the red paint underneath?

Thanks!

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
If I had your budget...

NAPA Ultra Premium rotors - $270
Stoptech Posi-Quiet pads - $90
Goodridge SS lines - $110
Turn in Concepts master cylinder brace - $100
ATE Super Blue - $20

·
Registered
54 Posts
No, slotted rotors eat pads faster.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If I had your budget...

NAPA Ultra Premium rotors - $270
Stoptech Posi-Quiet pads - $90
Goodridge SS lines - $110
Turn in Concepts master cylinder brace - $100
ATE Super Blue - $20
Can you do it again for a budget of a $1,000?
I need to upgrade bad, thanks:)

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
1,274 Posts
Stoptech Stage 2 brake kit - $717

Everything you need.... good quality stuff..... and at a great price too.

I've dealt with these folks too..... good company.

http://www.pricematchedparts.com/pr...ke_Kits_for_06_07_WRX_D647_D461-2739-863.html

As for the calipers.... while you're waiting on parts to arrive, disassemble them and have them sandblasted and powdercoated any color you want for "around" $100 depending on the powdercoater.

Don't try to paint them.... Not VHT paint... and certainly not that caliper painting crap they sell at Wal-Mart and Autozone... that is why your calipers look the way they do now. Do it right the first time and never have to worry about it again.

·
1,274 Posts
Not in PA where you're from.... but just do a google search in your area.... you should find something.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not to knock powder coating, but I painted the calipers on my Camaro about two years ago and they still look good. Although, I used a wirebrush wheel on them, used degreasers, and several coats. I wanted to do powdercoating, but let's just say my local guy's prices....:thumbdown

·
1,274 Posts
Dont heat them up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok now Im undecided. From the stuff I have looked up. It dosent seem like this upgrade gives you that much more stopping power? It seems like upgraded pads might do the trick. Any feed back on this? Also can you put new pads on your old rotors?

·
1,274 Posts
Your stopping power is a direct reflection of how sticky your tires are.

You can stop the car just as fast on a tiny set of cheap rotors with 1-piston calipers.

What you get.... is more resistance to heat fade, and longer lasting brakes capable of rereated high-temp stops without warping or fading/boiling.

If you want more stopping power...buy better tires.

If you want a more "firm" feel in the pedal... get steel braided lines and racing brake fluid.

If you want a truly better, more reliable, more heat resistant, and autoX ready braking system.... buy what I sent you earlier.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,820 Posts
You can put new pads on old discs if the rotors are not out of round or grooved badly. Usually they are not. Most people just remove and replace the disc or even resurface it (grind it flat at a machine shop). If in doubt, don't reuse the disc as is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all. I've also been planning to get the Cobb accessport. So it was a toss up between doing brake work or that. I think money better spent will be the accessport and new pads

1 - 14 of 14 Posts