ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My entire brake system is completely stock. I dont want to drop a mass amount on brembos but i definitely need some better stopping power. I was going to order this

Stoptech Stage 2 Sport Kit Subaru WRX 2002 at RallySportDirect.com

I also wanted to change the calipers. Right now there are some bright yellow ones on there and they look hideous.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
For daily driving, just get stainless lines and some different pads. Id advise against any race type or track compromise pads, but there are some better daily driver pads out there for sure. Better tires or dedicated summer performance tires would be a great choice as well over calipers.

Some people have had luck with a master cylinder brace if you can make it through the install.

Id hold off on calipers or rotors. If you can get your abs to kick on, your tires are limiting you, not your brakes.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I'd suggest stop tech performance street pads, stainless lines, better brake fluid. Master cylinder brace is pretty straight forward on 02-07 models the 08+ is tricky..

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
If you want to spend a little more $ look into the H6 rear brake upgrade.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My entire brake system is completely stock. I dont want to drop a mass amount on brembos but i definitely need some better stopping power. I was going to order this

Stoptech Stage 2 Sport Kit Subaru WRX 2002 at RallySportDirect.com

I also wanted to change the calipers. Right now there are some bright yellow ones on there and they look hideous.
If for street only, just get some paint for the calipers and some new pads, as mentioned, Stop Tech Street pads are good. Braided stainless lines are good too. The stock system is fine for sane street driving.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm about to upgrade mine as well... i'm getting a set of goodrich phantoms since they have the added security of being coated since on RARE occassions people have had the SS lines blow out. I'm going to change the brake fluid to some valvoline that I got the other day and see how that feels before I upgrade pads. I'd like to get some use out of the pads before I change them out.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'd suggest stop tech performance street pads, stainless lines, better brake fluid. Master cylinder brace is pretty straight forward on 02-07 models the 08+ is tricky..
Yes I'd definitely agree you should start here before spending money on new rotors.

How worn are your current pads and rotors? Are you asking this question/thread because they're due for replacement, or just because you want better performance? I'd wait for their normal replacement time and then replace them with an upgrade.

If you want to spend a little more $ look into the H6 rear brake upgrade.
Why are you suggesting a rear upgrade when the fronts do 90% of the stopping?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Why are you suggesting a rear upgrade when the fronts do 90% of the stopping?
Rears dont do 90% of the stopping in any system, that is extremely biased and would be terrible. Technically most subarus ride around a 70/30 bias the 02-05 cars suffer most with a worse bias like 75/25. Doing the larger rear H6 Rotor helps balance this out.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Rears dont do 90% of the stopping in any system, that is extremely biased and would be terrible.
Yes it would be terrible if the rears did 90% of the stopping!

Got typo? ;)

Technically most subarus ride around a 70/30 bias the 02-05 cars suffer most with a worse bias like 75/25. Doing the larger rear H6 Rotor helps balance this out.
I don't necessarily agree braking will be terrible with 90% done by the fronts. I've owned 2 VWs that were certainly well above an 80% bias and probably about 90% based on brake pad wear, and the braking was still very good. Based on the wear rates in my old STI and my current one, it's not 70/30 in either car. I'd say it's more like 80/20. However, I recognize measuring the bias based on brake pad wear is probably not a realistic way to do it. Do you have any Subaru sources that say what the bias is? I'm curious if they publish anything.

When you say it helps balances it out, is this based just on subjective street experience in normal driving, street with hard driving, autox, track, or some combination of these? I'm assuming you'd do the fluid, lines, and front pads first correct? Then do the rear upgrade before doing anything else to the fronts?

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I have heard that the master cylinder brace was a pain and most people said they didn't even notice a difference. There are some track days coming up and I know brakes are a huge deal when tracking a car. Maybe I will just start with stainless lines and better fluid.
If you are tracking it on a road course, I'd put some serious thought into getting dedicated track pads. Pads that are nice for daily driving will quickly fade on the track, potentially bleeding the fluid. Pads that are good on the track are not good for the street in my experience - they quickly wear their bedding off and will squeal. Also, they aren't at their optimum temperature when you are using them on the street.

I use the stock pads on the brembos for daily driving. Most don't like them, I don't have a problem with them other than cost. I'll find something else when they die.
Track wise, I have a set of Ferodo DS2500s I use. They did well on the track. Couldn't stand the squealing on the street. I'd recommend Ferodo Racing pads after using these. Not sure if I will stick with Ferodo or try another brand after this set.

I'm about to upgrade mine as well... i'm getting a set of goodrich phantoms since they have the added security of being coated since on RARE occassions people have had the SS lines blow out. I'm going to change the brake fluid to some valvoline that I got the other day and see how that feels before I upgrade pads. I'd like to get some use out of the pads before I change them out.
I'd skip the valvoline and get some Motul or SuperATE. Just my thoughts on the matter. The valvoline specs are not well documented. It did get me through a track day though I guess. The Motul and stainless lines made a huge difference, however.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Yes it would be terrible if the rears did 90% of the stopping!

Got typo? ;)

I don't necessarily agree braking will be terrible with 90% done by the fronts. I've owned 2 VWs that were certainly well above an 80% bias and probably about 90% based on brake pad wear, and the braking was still very good. Based on the wear rates in my old STI and my current one, it's not 70/30 in either car. I'd say it's more like 80/20. However, I recognize measuring the bias based on brake pad wear is probably not a realistic way to do it. Do you have any Subaru sources that say what the bias is? I'm curious if they publish anything.

When you say it helps balances it out, is this based just on subjective street experience in normal driving, street with hard driving, autox, track, or some combination of these? I'm assuming you'd do the fluid, lines, and front pads first correct? Then do the rear upgrade before doing anything else to the fronts?
well nothing written, honestly subaru figured it out and put them on all wrx models after 08. The 2008 WRX has the brake upgrade I speak of stock. Id personally do front performance pads and stainless lines all the way around. Also performance pads out back with the caliper brackets and much larger rotors. Thats really all the H6 upgrade is. larger rear rotors

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, There is nothing wrong with my stock setup as far as wear goes. I am just in the process of turning my DD into a dedicated track car. I am slowly but surely building it and probably in about the next year or so it wont even be street legal anymore. I have a 6 month deployment to Afghanistan coming up and when i get back i will be buying another Subaru (possibly a BRZ) as my DD and using this one for racing. I have signed up for some track days just to test the waters and see where my car is lacking and i was just assuming that the stock brakes would not hold up after some hot lapping.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I'd suggest a bbk for at least the front then. You'll save money on pads in the long run on top of the performance.

I plan on keeping the stock rears and replacing the front with a KNS BBK that uses AP racing equipment. I'm not sure of the differences between the STi and wrx mounting stuff though. Also you may need the rears upgraded as mentioned.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have heard that the master cylinder brace was a pain and most people said they didn't even notice a difference. There are some track days coming up and I know brakes are a huge deal when tracking a car. Maybe I will just start with stainless lines and better fluid.
I'm actually curious on the fluid being "better". I understand that the cheaper ones collect moisture a lot faster and/or easier, but what else would make brake fluid better? Does some of it actually have more ability to compress or something? I'm really not sure so I thought i'd ask.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
Boiling point matters in these cases. Ironically some of the better fluids are relatively hygroscopic so they require more, not less frequent replacement. However temperature extremes are what make a fluid better for heavy repeated hard braking.

I do not, however, understand the "synthetic" label on brake fluids. I can't see why all brake fluid would not be synthetic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts