ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

When i started up my car last morning and drove , i noticed a LOUD metal to metal noise, very annoying, It sounded like it was my exhuast was dragging on the ground. I narrowed it down to the right fron wheel. First of i thought it was my power seering fuild was low, cause some people report that low/no power steering fluid = sharp, high pitched metal noise.

I have 25,000 miles 03 wrx, no upgraded brakes or rotors, i have 18 inch rotas.

This all happen after that huge rainstorm in new jersey and i thought i was water or something, but it hasnt gone away.

My only thought is that there it a pebble or small rock caught between the brake and rotar or something because the front right rotar feels a LOT hotter then the others.

Does this seem right? Should i take apart my wheel and chech or could i be completly wrong?

Thanks
Tom!!!

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
18" wheels could be wearing your brake pads faster. Some people reported getting only 5-7K miles on their OEM pads...I got over 82K and still got a few K left on them.

check for rotor scoring. if you got something stuck in your caliper you'll be cutting a groove into your rotor (and you'll have to replace at least 2 of them if that's the case).

another thing I can think of is maybe the heavy rain wiped out your wheel bearing, and now its squeaking because the lubricant broke down...but its odd that you'd only have this happen in ONE wheel.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you're noticing that much heat you may have a seized caliper as well. I agree with the worn brake pad possibility as well, my CRX would squeal all of the time, not just when braking, when the pad was down to the wear indicator.

-Andy

·
Registered
888 Posts
Definitely pull the wheel off and take a look. If its making that rotor that much hotter you should try to fix it ASAP as the extra heat is bad for all the components there, especially the wheel bearings. The brakes on these cars are pretty easy to work on and theres a good chance that you'll be able to figure out the problem pretty easily.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
siezed caliper is a good guess too....it may have rusted durring the rain. you might be able to get it loose again when you take the caliper off if that's the case. otherwise you can get a set of Perrin 4-pot front calipers for about $650...they use stock rotors and pads and come pre-painted in all the popular colors.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THanks!

It happens all the time, when i am moving, for me to make it stop i have to jam my brakes a lot and it goes away but shortyl comes back.

I havent drivin it today and when i have time i will put the car under the knife.

Thanks for all the replys.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts