ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having an issue with my brakes for about a month now. It started with a very loud squealing from both front brakes. It only happens after 20 minutes of highway driving, heat problem maybe? I take the pads off, I still have 3/8” on them, I replaced the pads anyway, without the clips, with anti seize.

A week later, just the driver front starts doing the squealing again, symptoms are as before, brakes are smooth as silk. I notice way, way more brake dust on the wheels.

So I’m going to put the original pads back on, but will follow the instructions posted here using the brake grease. I still have a couple questions though. Should the pins holding the caliper to the mounting bracket be greased? I should be able to move the whole caliper while bolted to the bracket (a little), correct? I ask because I kind of think the caliper is getting rusted to the mounting pins. Could a worn rotor cause the squeal? Any help would be appreciated.

Another, unrelated question. How do you splice into a wire without cutting it?

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
Squeaking is normally needing grease. What sort of pads do you have on there? Does it do it while driving, while braking... braking softly but not hard?

Yes, you can grease the bracket.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The smudge of brake grease on the backing plates will help sometimes.

The pins in the bracket should be greased or a little lubed anyway. They don't move much, make sure the little boot is on there correctly.

You can get "vaqmpire" clips for splicing/ tapping into a wire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pads I put on are just cheapo Pepboy $20 jobbies. It squeals while driving, and will stop when the brakes are applied, even slightly or when going around a curve.

I’m going to replace the pads again with Subaru parts this weekend.

I’m just concerned that the problem isn’t wheel bearings.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
Definately go with the better pads, they are less likely to squeel. Some companies also offer shims that will quiet squeeling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts