Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brake Pad Recommendations? (2015 WRX)

Hey guys, I'm looking for pad recommendations for a 2015 WRX. The stock pads are okay, but are there any better options for a reasonable price? I could see anything from -35f to almost 100f - I'm looking for something which doesn't need a high temperature to be effective and doesn't fade too quickly in the heat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After doing some more research I think I am going to try StopTech Sport (Street Performance) pads. They are cheaper than OEM and seem to get some good reviews. It's possible they could be a bit too grabby on snow and ice though, does anyone one here have experience with them in winter conditions?

As for the occasional fade I have experienced, that could be down to the OEM fluid. I might look at changing that out as well.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
I use Advance auto parts stuff mostly for my cars. I have not replaced pads yet on mine but probably will go with their duralast gold pads. I have had good luck with them on other cars. I also like their high-carbon coated rotors, but do not see one offered for the new wrx. These things are not performance parts but if you are looking for perhaps a hair better than OEM, I like these.

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
Every brake is going to need to be warm to function at its best. In my experience brutal cold does not make my brakes grab, but the exact opposite. Now, salt, brine, sand and other road treatments will get on the rotors and when you let the car sit will cause a bit of corrosion that will make them grabby for a second, but once the brakes are applied and that is rubbed off they are normal.

Personally I say the stop tech brakes. I would avoid AutoZone/pepboys/generic autoparts store pads. I've yet to have anything outside of Napa that were good, and even Napa is a little subject. Personally if a pad is advertising lifetime anything it's likely too hard to be useful and just eats up and warps rotors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,598 Posts
Motul and ATE fluids both work. I like Ferodo pads but they are not inexpensive, quiet, or dust-free.

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
I like Ferodo pads but they are not inexpensive, quiet, or dust-free.
Typically decent pads all share those same traits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ah, got my normal account back up :wave:. Thanks for the responses!

Last year my plan was to get a set of Ferodo pads in 2017 (or look to see if the 2016 WRX pads fit), but as I have not been working for over 6 months I think I should go cheap this time (damn oil-reliant economy!). I looked into the HPS 5.0 but there seems to be a few extra mixed reviews over the STSP. I am going to avoid the everyday Advanced Auto kind of product on my car as I am quite hard on breaks. I think the STSP generally gets good reviews. I'll wait for warmer weather before installing them, and hopefully will be in a position to swap them out again if they are poor in the extreme cold next winter.

The rotors are barely worn, usually I would leave them as-is in this condition but is that wise on a WRX?

Is there any particular type of Motul or ATE fluid I should be looking at? I have no experience in this area.

·
19,598 Posts
usually I would leave them as-is in this condition but is that wise on a WRX?
I've done it. I don't know what's wise though.

Is there any particular type of Motul or ATE fluid I should be looking at?
In a way, the opposite: there is a type of fluid you should be avoiding. Avoid DOT5 fluid. In contrast, DOT5.1 is miscible with DOT4 and DOT3, and DOT4 and DOT3 are miscible among each other. However don't mix DOT5 with anything else since it's Si-based and the resulting Si/glycol mix will be hygroscopic and trap moisture, that can lead to corrosion.

I think the Motul 600 Racing is DOT4 and it ought to be good against heat on a track. You shouldn't notice any benefit on the street. The ATE 200 is also (probably?) DOT4.

Castrol makes an inexpensive DOT4 that I use in my road car, and they also make an extremely expensive SRF fluid that is supposed to be outstanding but I've not tried it in my car.

Check to make sure whatever you buy is miscible with either DOT3 or DOT4 depending on what's written on your master cylinder reservoir cap or owner's book, this is crucial.

·
19,598 Posts
Sorry, I don't know how much is actually needed (don't remember). The ATE comes in 1L bottles and I think the Motul is 600 ml? Sorry.

·
Registered
664 Posts
No worries, from what I am finding somewhere up to 1L should be good for a full flush, with the system using about half that (unverified figures). Thanks once again for your help!

·
19,598 Posts
That actually rings a bell. I am almost 100% you will have leftover with 1L and about 80% you will be OK with 800ml. Wish I'd written it down or something. Good luck!

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
I used stoptech street performance pads on my WRX and I like them. Only downside is that they were a little dusty.

Question: Why even replace the pads at all if they aren't worn down? Will you be autocrossing the car or something similar? I ask because the stock brake pads aren't terrible, plus that's just one less thing you have to pay for now.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I used stoptech street performance pads on my WRX and I like them. Only downside is that they were a little dusty.

Question: Why even replace the pads at all if they aren't worn down? Will you be autocrossing the car or something similar? I ask because the stock brake pads aren't terrible, plus that's just one less thing you have to pay for now.
Did you have a chance to try the STSPs in freezing temperatures? I'd be keen to know if they just need a little warming up or if the performance drops completely if they don't retain the heat.

No squeals but the fronts visually look as if they are close to done and don't seem to be as good as they once were. I also wouldn't mind something a little sharper, and have pushed the stock system to fading point a couple of times. One of times involved a confused old guy pulling out in front of me on a fast off-ramp at an almost stationary speed. My brakes disappeared and I had nowhere to go at short notice because of traffic alongside me (I got away with it by using a swift downshift and the hand brake). The problem occurred because I had just been messing around with silly stop-start games on an empty road to make my (then) 6 year old laugh - while the whole scenario was a one-off, it has been on my mind to reduce the chance of fade while I am still driving two small kids around.

I see you have bought an STI since I last viewed the forums - nice! I like your write-up comparing the two - I knew I wanted the STI for the same reasons, but avoided taking credit to get one. It turned out to be a good decision in our volatile economy, as not only do I get to keep my fully-owned car without a job but we have enough money saved to keep that (now) 7 year old playing hockey. One day, if I am not too old by then...

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
Did you have a chance to try the STSPs in freezing temperatures? I'd be keen to know if they just need a little warming up or if the performance drops completely if they don't retain the heat.

No squeals but the fronts visually look as if they are close to done and don't seem to be as good as they once were. I also wouldn't mind something a little sharper, and have pushed the stock system to fading point a couple of times. One of times involved a confused old guy pulling out in front of me on a fast off-ramp at an almost stationary speed. My brakes disappeared and I had nowhere to go at short notice because of traffic alongside me (I got away with it by using a swift downshift and the hand brake). The problem occurred because I had just been messing around with silly stop-start games on an empty road to make my (then) 6 year old laugh - while the whole scenario was a one-off, it has been on my mind to reduce the chance of fade while I am still driving two small kids around.

I see you have bought an STI since I last viewed the forums - nice! I like your write-up comparing the two - I knew I wanted the STI for the same reasons, but avoided taking credit to get one. It turned out to be a good decision in our volatile economy, as not only do I get to keep my fully-owned car without a job but we have enough money saved to keep that (now) 7 year old playing hockey. One day, if I am not too old by then...
Thanks man! Yeah I had to ditch the WRX because I wanted to save and buy a house. Well I saved and bought a house but then I missed the WRX. Wasn't even planning on getting an STi or WRX anytime soon but I stumbled upon a deal I couldn't pass up.

At any rate, I did have the chance to use these brakes in sub freezing temps. Nothing crazy cold, but I never really noticed a performance drop off. I feel like your wheels will probably lockup in cold weather before the brakes fade in DD scenarios. After a couple of months I did notice the pads getting a little soft so I just bedded them again and all was back to normal. TiC down in Cincinnati told me originally that I shouldn't have to re-bed those pads once I did it the first time, but it doesn't hurt to do it if you feel they are getting a little squishy.

In short terms, I never found myself yearning for more stopping power on the roads with these pads. They worked well with my daily driving. They were just a little dusty.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Thanks, that seems consistent with the research I have done already. I think I'll try them out, it's not as if they are going to make my car undrivable!

·
19,598 Posts
Dealer parts person just confirmed 500 ml sufficient to flush brake system.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Thanks once again. I think I should get the rotors machined as I am changing the pad type - from what I have been reading, it's a good idea to at least get rid of the old pad material as it could prevent an even layer deposit from the ones. I look forward to seeing how this all works out and will certainly report back once I have had a chance to test it all out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2017 WRX with 10,000 and Started Hearing/feeling Grinding on my passenger side. I drive mostly highway so I doubt it's worn Pads. Any Suggestions? It only happens as im coming to a stop from driving speed. if I'm creeping in like a parking lot I don't feel it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts