Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a flasher module I like and id like to have it do all 3 brake lights. Would prefer to only buy one so where is the main wires for the brake lights that I could install it into. Or would it be better to find a shop to do it for me if it's too hard to get to those main wires. Would also like it in a somewhat reachable place as it's configurable and if I want to change it I don't wanna be pulling too many panels.

If this is the wrong place to ask this lmk and I'll move it or if a mod could move the post for me that'd be cool.

Flasher Id like to install: Amazon.com: Vehicle Brake Light Flasher Module. Safety Flash Light Alert. Universal. For Motorcycles and Cars. : Automotive

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
Before you go all in on this make sure it won't get you a fixit ticket. Some states are hard as nails when it comes to vehicle lighting.

Otherwise I would suspect a single module would work for all 3 if the lights are led

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before you go all in on this make sure it won't get you a fixit ticket. Some states are hard as nails when it comes to vehicle lighting.

Otherwise I would suspect a single module would work for all 3 if the lights are led
Thanks for the warning. Just checked my state and it's only an issue with continuous flashing red. The quick flash then solid is ok

·
Registered
2021 WRX Premium 6MT
21 Posts
Any automatic brake light flashing (even just once) violates Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, which take precedence over state laws. If a shop does the work they could be liable for a fine of up to $5,000.

·
Æternum
16,163 Posts
I moved your
Any automatic brake light flashing (even just once) violates Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, which take precedence over state laws. If a shop does the work they could be liable for a fine of up to $5,000.
This is my understanding as well.

Whether or not LEO enforce the law will depend on your location.

I have flashing brake lights on my motorcycles and have been pulled over once for them, but I explained that this was really a life saver. The officer said "Yeah, I know, and I'll let you off with a warning but technically it's against the law."

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,820 Posts
I can’t read the federal legislation because I can’t see it for all the pot smoke out here in CA so IDK.

My bike and two cars have a flash 4X them go solid brake. The cars only have it on the third. I’m still afraid of getting killed.

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
I can’t read the federal legislation because I can’t see it for all the pot smoke out here in CA so IDK.

My bike and two cars have a flash 4X them go solid brake. The cars only have it on the third. I’m still afraid of getting killed.
As far as I'm aware and from what I'm told federally 4 flashes in 4 seconds is not considered flashing lights in regards to the law. I've also seen those numbers quoted on various automotive media but like anything on the internet, it never has sources.

It has to be legal in some aspect as bmw and Mercedes have had adaptive brake lights for some years now that flash.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,820 Posts
Oh I see. You mean constant flashing. OK yes that’s different.

·
Registered
2021 WRX Premium 6MT
21 Posts
FMVSS 108, Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment, requires that stop lamps be steady burning (Table 1a). One flash is still a flash. Flash then steady brake lights are legal in Europe, which is why MB and BMW models sold there have them, but not here in the USA. BMW mistakenly imported several motorcycles recently with Euro flashing brake lights and had to issue a recall to delete the feature. Some states' motor vehicle codes allow flashing brake lights, but they are in violation of the federal preemption rule, 49 USC 30103(b).

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
FMVSS 108, Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment, requires that stop lamps be steady burning (Table 1a). One flash is still a flash. Flash then steady brake lights are legal in Europe, which is why MB and BMW models sold there have them, but not here in the USA. BMW mistakenly imported several motorcycles recently with Euro flashing brake lights and had to issue a recall to delete the feature. Some states' motor vehicle codes allow flashing brake lights, but they are in violation of the federal preemption rule, 49 USC 30103(b).
You are inputing opinion of what flashing is.

Is one flash then steady flashing? Can you specifically tell me the statute that says that?

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
The specification says "steady burning." What part of steady do you not understand?
The one where any legal wording without definition is open to interpretation because of reality.

Per your definition tapping your brakes is illegal. They don't steady burn they flash on then off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts