Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so upgrading brakes seems like something that wouldn't have a downside but I've been wrong before. that being said i've seen some brake kits that are pretty expensive so i was curious if anyone knows of any decent calipers that i can install on stock rotors. clearance issues shouldn't be a problem since i have 18in wheels with a +40mm offset. oh yeah its a 2017 wrx almost forgot that part.

·
Registered
277 Posts
But why ?

The stock Wrx brakes are really good with a pad like the stoptech streets as I have the same caliper on my legacy GT.

Replace your lines , fluid and pads first.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
honestly this is gonna sound dumb but u have TSW Nurburgring wheels and the stock brakes just look so wimpy. If i can have the look of big brakes as well as the performance I'd do it.

·
Æternum
16,152 Posts
The brake rotor diameter on the new WRX is not all that small. The diameter is 12.4" if my memory serves me correctly (it didn't) -- this means they aren't much different in diameter from the outgoing STI Brembos.

I'd advise you to consider the option of pads and fluid for performance. For the non-performance related concerns, sell the wheels for a smaller diameter option. The performance will be better with the smaller diameter and the cost will be less.

Consider all the pain this will cause you over the years -- Big custom brake kits require expensive custom pads and rotors. Big diameter wheels require larger lower-profile tires that are more expensive.

Moral of the story -- don't be an idiot for street cred.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
If I were to upgrade calipers and rotors I would go with AP Racing calipers minimum, and DBA 5000 rotors. But I wouldn't spend that kind of money unless I had plenty of it burning a hole in my pocket and was having problems with brake fade on the track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts