Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock brakes on the 15+ WRX (not STi) are terrible. They take a lot of effort to stop this heavy car and they lose effectiveness quickly. I'm not auto crossing or racing, just driving down the freeway of a small mountain. This is the first car I've owned where the brakes were this bad (that I can remember, anyway).

Anyone have any suggestions on improving the brakes? I'm not looking for Brembos or anything for racing. I just want brakes that stop the car, effectively and without the horrible fade. I assume the only fix will be new rotors and pads? If so, looking for something reasonable.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'd say some stainless steel brake lines + pads will do the trick here. You don't need different rotors.
I also added the Cusco Master cylinder brace which gave the brake pedal a very linear and positive feel when braking hard.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for suggestions, Steemax!

What's a good pad - ceramic?

I've also heard good things about the master cylinder brace. I often wonder if the flex of the MC isn't part of the design, to minimize stress under hard breaking?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Thanks for suggestions, Steemax!

What's a good pad - ceramic?

I've also heard good things about the master cylinder brace. I often wonder if the flex of the MC isn't part of the design, to minimize stress under hard breaking?
Well if you want best all around stick with ceramic. I think it's going to give you the best performance for a daily car. As for the MC flex i'm not sure but i'd say the flexing isn't all that good, but i can't say for sure.

·
Pro Manscaper
14,901 Posts
Hawk HPS pads and stainless lines...you'll be good to go. A master cylinder brace is a good suggestion as well. It will really help to firm up pedal feel as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts