Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have something along the lines of the DBA rotor paint, which changes color according to temp?

I think painting the stock calipers is stupid, but if it serves a purpose, I can justify it.

-Jim (All-go-no-show guy that has to build a show car for his sponsorship, but isn't complaining :D )

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
I'll ask Steve when he gets back from vacation (Disneyland). I've seen some of their pics that shows it on pads as well. It definitely is a good tool to judge if ducting is going to be necessary, different pads etc.

It is also invaluable when seasoning rotors as well.

Big Sky

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
I found some more stuff in the Pegasus racing catalog

1.Performance friction TempSmart paint- temp sensitive paint that changes color drastically at five distinct temps (ofcourse it doesn't say what those temps are)- 2 oz bottle $30

2. Single temp labels- small stick on labels (20 in a pack) temps from 120-500 F, can used once - $7 for pack

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Talk about timely. I was just watching the Sanremo Rally wrap-up and noticed something I missed earlier in the weekend. They had a little tech segment with a Subaru mechanic showing off the gigantic brakes they run for the Tarmac rallys. The last thing he showed off, after stating that the rotors were as big as most street car's wheels ( :D ), was the paint they put in the rotor vents to monitor temps. Unfortunately, they didn't say where they got it.

Chris

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Jim -- why do you think painting your stock calipers is stupid? I've seen people do it, and doesn't look bad at all. On the contrary, it looks really cool:D. Hey, if a sponsorship is on the line then what the heck, just go for it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
WRXin' said:
Jim -- why do you think painting your stock calipers is stupid? I've seen people do it, and doesn't look bad at all. On the contrary, it looks really cool:D. Hey, if a sponsorship is on the line then what the heck, just go for it.
I have to agree. The stock calipers are greenish/gray and look awful, especially with rims that have open spokes. When I have enough money, I'll get the red Stoptechs, but until then I have to live with this:

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
I'd have to agree, those look much better painted. What kind of paint did you use and how much of a pain was it?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
I'd have to agree, those look much better painted. What kind of paint did you use and how much of a pain was it?
I think it was called G2. It came with paint, activator, brush, and brake cleaner. If you can do all 4 wheels at once, you can do the actual painting/waiting to dry in a couple of hours. You can't drive the car for 24 hours and it takes a minimum of 2 coats to completely cover the caliper. I did 3 coats because I had paint left over and you can't save the paint once you add the activator.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Prince Ali said:

I have to agree. The stock calipers are greenish/gray and look awful, especially with rims that have open spokes. When I have enough money, I'll get the red Stoptechs, but until then I have to live with this:
That looks great Ali...I'm definately going to paint my calipers when I get my wheels. This G2 paint, did you buy it from Pep Boys or the like? Thanks:)

Fahd

·
Registered
249 Posts
WRXin' said:

That looks great Ali...I'm definately going to paint my calipers when I get my wheels. This G2 paint, did you buy it from Pep Boys or the like? Thanks:)

Fahd
Thanks, I bought mine from www.seriousauto.com. They used to have a Subaru section, but I guess they have decided to stick to Miatas exclusively. It's about $42 plus shipping and tax.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sorry for jumping in, but to add to this thread...

I painted my calipers w/ high temp engine paint (from Walmart)....~$6, 3 coats in a couple of hours (mainly for drying in-between coats). And I have to say, they look very similar to the pic posted above...same gloss and sharp color, etc., (I don't have a camera so you have to take my word for it). There may be longevity issues between mine and the kit, but they appear to look similar and mine still looks good after 1 month.

I do believe in some cases, you get what you pay for, but I personally don't see proof of that in THIS case...yet:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
The heat paint we use is made by Thermographic Measurements Co in the U.K . The product is Thermax and it is the best you can buy. At $200 per little tin it would wana be. :(

I have tried the Performance Friction Tempsmart but fount it a liitle difficult to read accurately.

Also I did have a personal kit from SPV racing (I Think) that had little bottles of thermax (3 colors) and was reasonably priced.

Off topic.!
I travel 10,000 miles to the U.S on vacation and go to hire a car. They give me a Daewoo.????.:mad:
Are you people crazy?:confused:
I'd prefer a 20 year old mule towing a cart..Thanks

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Think upgrade, Steve! You rent the cheapest car they have and they'll make sure you learn your lesson. The extra 5 bucks or so a day to move up the ladder is usually worth it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
GV27 said:
Think upgrade, Steve! You rent the cheapest car they have and they'll make sure you learn your lesson. The extra 5 bucks or so a day to move up the ladder is usually worth it!
Yep.! I've learnt my lesson.
I drove it to a friends house in Ocoee Fl and he requested that I park at least 2 blocks away.
We had a laugh anyway.!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts