Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pulling my hair out about this. I will be catless whatever i get. I would like a low rumble at idea(which most all systems have) with minimal raspiness and tinniness at higher rpm and load. I have only heard a BPM TT on a wrx and I liked it. I just want more performance. I can get the GT and the XS at basically the same price. I am also thinking of getting a used Unichip, a TXS uppipe, STI injectors, and a FP turbo or ION whichever suits my pocket book at the time of the purchase. Any recommendations? Thanks so much for you all's help. You have always helped my decisions.

RJ

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm going catless too! But before I change out the cat-back, I'm gonna try out the stock can with no cats. Just with an up-pipe on the stock muffler sounds pretty already, and I hear that the catless setup can be unbearably loud and droning with the HKS Carbon/Ti and A'PEXi GT Spec.

·
Registered
34 Posts
eightballrj - just curious, have you ever considered iON's Race spec turbo-back? I know that this is their cat-less turbo-back, which can be easily upgraded to the street spec with their 3" hi-flow cat as well. Benefits would be you choose your own tips as well as acoustic preference.

I'm sure if you're going with the iON Spec turbo upgrade, they'll be able to give you a great deal on it.

Wouldn't hurt to drop them an email -> [email protected]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Scoobysport...from rallyperformance.com. 25hp for the turboback, legendary sound, 25 year warranty, no raspy sound, nice and low.

·
Registered
110 Posts
mk3 is loud as all hell, especially when it's catless. :eek: Deep rumble, definately NOT raspy or tinny sounding. All the bpm turbobacks sound great. The mk3 is designed for maximum output in performance and is VERY brutal sounding (in a good way). :) It's also a full 3" from turbo to muffler and uses the twin dump separated wastegate tube on the dp. The turboxs is 4" bell mouth dp->3"->2.5" at end of midpipe. There has been A LOT of debate over which dp design is best and if the 2.5" taper is performance hindering. I dunno if the taper really matters since the wrx probably won't produce enough power for it to matter. Nathan and Phil both use the turboxs turboback and they're putting out a lot of power. But then again, vishnu decided to go with a twin dump dp with full 3" piping. MRT recently changed their design from a bell mouth to a separated tube style. Bosal dp is a separated twin dump but is 2.5". Unless someone does a turboback comparison on a dyno with same test conditions, we'll never really know which turboback is the best.

Either way you go, you can't lose.

Hope this helps some.

-James-

BTW, I just saw that some dude is selling his catless mk3 turboback in the private classifieds on both i-club and clubwrx at a good price.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mkiii sound clips anyone

I would love you hear this "brutal" sound. TXS is hardly intimidating. Clips are kind of hard to decipher because of differences in recording. Could someone liken the loudness to another car that you have heard. Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I guess I'm confused...it sounds like all you want it volume!:)

If you want an incredible sound, with a low pitched bassy idle and a growl that rivals the exotics at WOT, get the TXS stealthback catless and match it up to the Prodrive muffler. If you run totally catless it will be loud, but still civil and not as loud as some other setups out there. The advantage here is the quality of the sound...it's simply unbeatable by any other exhaust system or combination I've heard (and I've heard a lot, too!).

A personal request: don't just go for as loud as possible! I really want the WRX crowd to seperate themselves from the ridiculously loud (and conincidentally, ridiculously slow:eek: ) honda's and their 200 decible fart cans. I know, it's pretty cool to have a loud car sometimes, but trust me there is nothing better than having a good sound and then just beating the hell out of some guy who sounds like a 747 off the line!:D :D :D

Just my .02c......

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
epsilon said:
Amen to that! I'm going that route myself. TXS stealthback/upipe next week and Prodrive axleback to follow.
that's pretty much what I'm looking at now.. if I can find a dealer around here that will still honor my warranty with it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good luck epsilon, it's a great combo. I am running a stealthback with the stock muffler right now, and I think I'm gonna get the Prodrive early next year.

BTW...

Are you going to go catless with the TXS setup? I am currently running the hi-flow cat to keep my car at absolute stock sound levels, but I think I may get the racepipe when I get the Prodrive. I'm sure to get at least some power from going catless and to a straight thru muffler like the Prodrive, plus the sound is incredible!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
woah now

I dont mean that I want the Mkiii I just want to hear someone's car with it on it. Haha. I cannot be that loud because both my father and girlfriend wont have it, haha I am pitiful I know. But, most of you know where I am coming from. I just want a very deep rumble and a subdued upper rpm. Where can I get the Prodrive for cheap? Thanks!!

RJ

·
Registered
11 Posts
stilesg57 said:
Are you going to go catless with the TXS setup? I am currently running the hi-flow cat to keep my car at absolute stock sound levels, but I think I may get the racepipe when I get the Prodrive. I'm sure to get at least some power from going catless and to a straight thru muffler like the Prodrive, plus the sound is incredible!
I don't think so. I do plan to pick up the catless pipe next spring, so that I can swap it in and out for the autox season. I've heard the full catless XS turboback (with uppipe) and the rumble is a bit too loud for me. BTW, when you do go catless, you may want to get an upipe as well (if you don't have one already). The free-flowing exhaust may suck your stock cat into the turbo. :eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have turboxs stealthback with stock muffler.. its intresting sounding. Its quiet yet it whistles. basically stock with a whistle.. lol... anways, i need to get that CE eliminator since i got the test pipe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts