Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I have a 2017 WRX and I'm in love with it but I've heard some things that getting an aftermarket BOV would be healthier for the turbo. If I put an aftermarket BOV on my WRX would this lower boost/hp at all with a completely stock WRX??

· Registered
3,060 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Welcome to the forums, blow off valves are for ricers and people that don't like exhaust notes in my opinion. But their definitely not good for our cars.

Have a nice day and Enjoy the car. :3

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
Hey everyone! I have a 2017 WRX and I'm in love with it but I've heard some things that getting an aftermarket BOV would be healthier for the turbo. If I put an aftermarket BOV on my WRX would this lower boost/hp at all with a completely stock WRX??
Where the hell did you hear that?

The sad part is, I think I can back out the bro-science for this argument...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

· Registered
158 Posts
Short answer is don't touch it. Long answer is, if you want to run a bov for the sound, like I do. You'll have to have some modifications done. I don't run a maf sensor anymore since my tuner has changed mine to map and speed density so I can run a bov with 100% vta without any negative effects.

· Registered
56 Posts
I as well wanted the BOV really bad just for the sound but after a little bit of research I found out it is really bad for car unless you do the right modifications like AltairRules mentioned so I decided to just leave it alone, plus I think it might void your warranty but I am not 100% sure about that.

· Registered
154 Posts
I'm a sucker for the pshhhh as well. Not a difficult mod at all once you're past warranty. Just pick a good tuner. I've read mixed reviews about the recirculating BOV being safe but it's not worth taking the risk on a stock tune IMO. But by no means healthier.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
Once again, you can't "tune" for a BOV

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
Well, if you install a recirculating BOV you should get the car tuned for it. Even though it's not releasing metered air, it can still throw things off quite a bit.
I disagree.

· Registered
154 Posts
I disagree.

You aren't tuning for it persay, but there are definitely tuning-based approaches to running a vented BOV in a way that will not result in negative performance. But we're talking about completely changing the systems sensors and converting from a mass air to speed density type of system as a pervious poster was describing. That's all I was getting at.

· Premium Member
11,374 Posts
I disagree.

The before and after data plots I saw recently looked pretty conclusive.. I'll see if I can find them.

But we're talking about completely changing the systems sensors and converting from a mass air to speed density type of system as a pervious poster was describing.

That's not what I'm talking about though. I'm talking about adjustments needing to be made to the draw through MAF based tune when running an aftermarket recirculating valve. No need to switch over to speed density, but custom tuning is needed none the less.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
You aren't tuning for it persay, but there are definitely tuning-based approaches to running a vented BOV in a way that will not result in negative performance. But we're talking about completely changing the systems sensors and converting from a mass air to speed density type of system as a pervious poster was describing. That's all I was getting at.

I'm aware of speed density and blow-through MAF systems. This, to me, isn't "tuning" and can be misconstrued by the average reader.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
The before and after data plots I saw recently looked pretty conclusive.. I'll see if I can find them.
I'd be interested to see. I'm also leery of claims by tuners that are generally used to promote their business.

I can't think of a mechanical reason that a different recirc BPV would change the airflow or ignition characteristics of a motor EXCEPT for a slight adjustment in tip-in enrichment tuning that might slightly improve the transient response. Nothing that critical.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.