ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, newbie here! Just stoped by at the walmart...sigh... and picked up some sweet new detailing products thats I've been hearing good things about here. Migiuers MDX (? sorry dont have in front of me) wax, mothers clay bar, simlpy green, armorall, and some terry and mircofiber clothes,grand total $52.

I'm no expert on this detailing stuff. whats the best technique? I plan on washing my car really good at my dads work, drive back home, rewash little to prep for clay barring, and wash again at home to clean up the risadue( not sure what to expect here, never clayed before) before i wax it up. I heard to simple green is good for wheels and engine cleaning, never used that before either. the bottle says "super consentrated", should i dilute it or go straight? Well whatever...peace...

ps i also picked a a digital camera at hells-mart, the second cheapest one they had, so ill update with loads of pictures!! PEACE!

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Hey, newbie here! Just stoped by at the walmart...sigh... and picked up some sweet new detailing products thats I've been hearing good things about here. Migiuers MDX (? sorry dont have in front of me) wax, mothers clay bar, simlpy green, armorall, and some terry and mircofiber clothes,grand total $52.

I'm no expert on this detailing stuff. whats the best technique? I plan on washing my car really good at my dads work, drive back home, rewash little to prep for clay barring, and wash again at home to clean up the risadue( not sure what to expect here, never clayed before) before i wax it up. I heard to simple green is good for wheels and engine cleaning, never used that before either. the bottle says "super consentrated", should i dilute it or go straight? Well whatever...peace...

ps i also picked a a digital camera at hells-mart, the second cheapest one they had, so ill update with loads of pictures!! PEACE!
Where to Start..........Oh Welcome!

Simple Green peels some clear coats off of rims in my experience. It also corrodes some aluminum finishes found on under hood components. I would use an Engine detailer on the under hood stuff.

Armor all- Original formula is bad to use as it seems to strip off UV protect ant and accelerate fading and cracking.

Meguiars makes good stuff.

Happy cleaning.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Simple Green works good on wheels but I would definitely dilute it, probably about half Simple Green and half water. Also make sure you dont let the SG sit on your wheels for an extended period of time....just spray on, scrub the wheel, and wash off one wheel at a time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now im getting scared with the simple green. sounds like acid. it wont mess up my alloys will it?

any advice for the clay bar?

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
now im getting scared with the simple green. sounds like acid. it wont mess up my alloys will it?

any advice for the clay bar?
I dont use simple green cause it pulled the Clear coat off of a set of HP Racing wheels in a matter of about 5 applications.

Clay bar:

Its a ton of work. Dont drop it in the dirt.

I suggest following up the clay bar with a coat of nano polish before waxing. Something like the Turtle Wax F21 works well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've never heard of nano polish before, whats that do? im i going to have a lot of risidue to wash off after clay bar?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just finshed detailing the WRX. Took about 8 hours, starting from the wash, to clay barring the whole car, then wax, windows, and i hit all the plastic trim and rubber door seals with armorall. Im a little disappointed with the meguiers NXT wax. It didnt get all the small scratches out like i thought it would, also doesnt seem like a strong wax. Mabey Ill try turtle wax next time. I did get some pictures, sorry about the quality, I'm returning the camera to walmart soon for something better...

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
Looks good bro. I hate waxing but it just looks so damn good after. :tongue:

·
Registered
506 Posts
i did the same thing this weekend, i was gonna post pics but i forgot to email myself do i could do it at work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts