ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that while I drive my temp gauge will go up and down. It usually goes

up while idling and goes down once I start to take off and it sometimes rises if I

get into the throttle. There is no anti-freeze leak and I drive conservatively. I

know that with no air flow at a stand still it could cause the engine temp to rise,

but I've never heard of it making the temp gauge moving noticeably. My WRX has

no power adders other than a K&N Typhoon intake system. I use Pennzoil Platinum

Synthetic engine oil and 91 octane fuel. Is there anything I can do to keep the

engine temp more constant and possibly lower?Could this be the affect of where

Subaru placed the temp gauge? Is this something that turbo charged engines do?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '04 wrx, it ended up being a very small coolant leak just above the turbo, have you checked your radiator fluid level when the car is cooled off both at the radiator and the upper resevior?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The temp gauge can fluctuate slightly. How much exactly is it moving in widths of the needle from normal to the high and low points you've seen it read?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a similar problem with my '04 wrx, it ended up being a very small coolant leak just above the turbo, have you checked your radiator fluid level when the car is cooled off both at the radiator and the upper resevior?
No I haven't checked it with everything cooled off. When I do check it, it's when the car has sat a little while after running. I will check it today and get back to you.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
That doesn't sound like an unreasonable fluctuation, though I have to say my STI temp gauge never moved a bit during hours of tracking it (that was very surprising). Most of the time cars will have some fluctuation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
if it was sticking closed wouldn't the car just overheat? could it be possible that its faulty and opens up at a higher temp than it should be?

·
Registered
316 Posts
It could be sticking (not stuck) closed so that it requires a higher temperature before it pops open and allows the car to cool. This would account for the higher temperature differences between cool and hot.

·
Registered
670 Posts
sounds like you just need to burp your coolant system...aka get the bubbles out of it. My rex did the same thing went away when i burped it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yea, I would go with burping the system first before doing anything else...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if it was sticking closed wouldn't the car just overheat? could it be possible that its faulty and opens up at a higher temp than it should be?
This sounds more possible. I know GrimmSpeed makes a thermostat that opens at a cooler temp and if it fails, it will fail open.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So I checked my coolant level at the overflow tank this morning with the engine and everything cold and it is a little low. By the time I got to work the engine had got

to operating temp and the overflow tank had filled up from the thermostat opening up and the tank read full. I read my owners manual and it said to check the fluid

level at each fuel stop, which I would assume to mean to check with a hot engine. I will try burping the system this afternoon and see what happens. I would guess

the nest step after that would to get a new thermostat. If that were the case, I would get the Grimmspeed thermostat since it opens up at a lower temp and if it fails,

it will fail in the open position.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Unless you are tracking the car I wouldn't get a cooler thermostat. The injectors and engine burn are calibrated to run most efficiently at the designed engine temperature. If you change the running temp then the ECU will have to compensate and you won't be running at best efficiency.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, sounds right. I think what I'm going to do is get a Failsafe brand thermostat that opens at 170 degrees. I've heard good things about Failsafe because if they fail, they will fail in the open position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I took mine into the dealership (under warranty) and they found a bad water pump. They are fixing it sometime this week, once they get the pump in stock. We'll see if that fixes it for me. Car is a completely stock 2012 WRX with 2,100 miles on the odometer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts