Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So just bought a used 2015 WRX with 37k miles on her last week and it came with a Perrin cat back already installed. I believe the rest of the car to be stock, spikes at 21.9 and sustains 15. I haven't gotten down under to see if a previous owner installed a J pipe/downpipe as well but by the sound I'm assume its still stock. Obviously I'm already thinking about that Cobb accessport and intake... however this car is going to be a daily with fast accumulating miles (until its bike season again at least) and I want to maintain that Subaru level of reliably. Im a newb wrx owner with a very rudimentary understanding of tuning/ building cars and I'm unsure if running this exhaust alone could cause long term damage without an intake/tune. So basically I want an excuse to order the accessport and SF intake bc its already got an exhaust but I don't want to jack anything up in the long run... Any insight or recommendations on how to approach the situation is appreciated..

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If it's just a cat back exhaust no tune is necessary. If you have a down pipe, you should get a tune. It will be pretty easy to tell the stock exhaust components compared to the aftermarket cat back. Check it out ASAP.

·
Registered
338 Posts
tough situation, if it DOES have a aftermarket J-pipe it might already have a protune or something like that. Where did you buy it/can you ask what was done.

Just a catback will not harm it and you dont need a tune for that. Airbox you DO need a tune. If you are going with an airbox Id order the j pipe too and just be done with it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
As far as the other mods go, take some time and feel out the car. Be patient. Get to know her driving dynamics and be comfortable with the car's abilities, before you change anything.

·
Registered
403 Posts
As far as the other mods go, take some time and feel out the car. Be patient. Get to know her driving dynamics and be comfortable with the car's abilities, before you change anything.
And make certain there aren't any "hidden" or obscure existing problems before you potentiate the threat of obfuscating them with additional mods.

·
Registered
212 Posts
po·ten·ti·ate
/pəˈten(t)SHēˌāt/
increase the power, effect, or likelihood of (something, especially a drug or physiological reaction).
"the glucose will potentiate intestinal absorption of sodium"
verb
technical
verb: potentiate; 3rd person present: potentiates; past tense: potentiated; past participle: potentiated; gerund or present participle: potentiating

ob·fus·cate

/ˈäbfəˌskāt/
verb
gerund or present participle: obfuscating
render obscure, unclear, or unintelligible.
"the spelling changes will deform some familiar words and obfuscate their etymological origins"
synonyms: obscure, confuse, make unclear, blur, muddle, complicate, overcomplicate, muddy, cloud, befog
"mere rationalizations to obfuscate rather than clarify the real issue"
antonyms: clarify
•bewilder (someone).
"it is more likely to obfuscate people than enlighten them"
synonyms: bewilder, mystify, puzzle, perplex, confuse, baffle, confound, bemuse, befuddle, nonplus; informalflummox
"her work became more and more obfuscated by mathematics and jargon"
increase the power, effect, or likelihood of (something, especially a drug or physiological reaction).
"the glucose will potentiate intestinal absorption of sodium"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts