Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So just bought a used 2015 WRX with 37k miles on her last week and it came with a Perrin cat back already installed. I believe the rest of the car to be stock, spikes at 21.9 and sustains 15. I haven't gotten down under to see if a previous owner installed a J pipe/downpipe as well but by the sound I'm assume its still stock. Obviously I'm already thinking about that Cobb accessport and intake... however this car is going to be a daily with fast accumulating miles (until its bike season again at least) and I want to maintain that Subaru level of reliably. Im a newb wrx owner with a very rudimentary understanding of tuning/ building cars and I'm unsure if running this exhaust alone could cause long term damage without an intake/tune. So basically I want an excuse to order the accessport and SF intake bc its already got an exhaust but I don't want to jack anything up in the long run... Any insight or recommendations on how to approach the situation is appreciated..

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If it's just a cat back exhaust no tune is necessary. If you have a down pipe, you should get a tune. It will be pretty easy to tell the stock exhaust components compared to the aftermarket cat back. Check it out ASAP.

·
Registered
338 Posts
tough situation, if it DOES have a aftermarket J-pipe it might already have a protune or something like that. Where did you buy it/can you ask what was done.

Just a catback will not harm it and you dont need a tune for that. Airbox you DO need a tune. If you are going with an airbox Id order the j pipe too and just be done with it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
po·ten·ti·ate
/pəˈten(t)SHēˌāt/
increase the power, effect, or likelihood of (something, especially a drug or physiological reaction).
"the glucose will potentiate intestinal absorption of sodium"
verb
technical
verb: potentiate; 3rd person present: potentiates; past tense: potentiated; past participle: potentiated; gerund or present participle: potentiating

ob·fus·cate

/ˈäbfəˌskāt/
verb
gerund or present participle: obfuscating
render obscure, unclear, or unintelligible.
"the spelling changes will deform some familiar words and obfuscate their etymological origins"
synonyms: obscure, confuse, make unclear, blur, muddle, complicate, overcomplicate, muddy, cloud, befog
"mere rationalizations to obfuscate rather than clarify the real issue"
antonyms: clarify
•bewilder (someone).
"it is more likely to obfuscate people than enlighten them"
synonyms: bewilder, mystify, puzzle, perplex, confuse, baffle, confound, bemuse, befuddle, nonplus; informalflummox
"her work became more and more obfuscated by mathematics and jargon"
increase the power, effect, or likelihood of (something, especially a drug or physiological reaction).
"the glucose will potentiate intestinal absorption of sodium"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts