Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Borla Hush exhaust from MPJ Performance (Thanks Mike and Gino!) and installed it on my STI.

You cannot bolt the Borla to most 3" downpipes because the exhaust was designed for the stock pipe. However, you don't have to cut anything, since the piece that mates with the stock downpipe is detachable.

You would have to make a new adapter. The parts will set you back about $5-10. You need a 3" slip on 2 bolt exhaust flange. Good luck finding one, I had to call 12 local exhaust shops to find one. And you will also need about 5 inches of 3" pipe.

Weld it to the flange, and you should have something like this.

Compared to the Borla one....

Yes, the Borla is a full 3" system except for the little adapter that mates with the stock downpipe.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ummm, I did. :)

I had an HKS carbon TI, which mates to the downpipe perfectly, but the HKS is a little too... much. Tip is too big and flashy for me taste.

The Borla is probably one of the quietest 3" cat backs that will fit the STI.

The problem is that the Borla was designed to mate up to the stock downpipe, hence my little adapter.

Invisiguard said:
not to be rude, but for the same money why didnt you just buy an exhaust that would fit on the DP your running :confused:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thats very nice. Did you have to install a gasket between the new flange and your downpipe?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I re-used the gaskets from the HKS exhaust. It fits *perfectly*.

Dave said:
Thats very nice. Did you have to install a gasket between the new flange and your downpipe?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've heard an HKS Ti with a GTSpec DP, and found it too loud for my taste. Is the Borla combo you're running quieter/louder than that? How does it compare to the stock set-up in tems of decibles? I am looking for something as quiet, if not softer, than stock. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a HUGE difference between the HKS and the Borla. The Borla Hush is very quiet, even with a 3" downpipe and headers. It is only slightly louder than the stock STI exhaust, but a little deeper.

I heard the Greddy evo for the first time over the weekend, and if I had to guess, the Borla and Evo are about the same at low RPMs (didn't hear the evo at above 4K).

The biggest advantage on the Borla is that it is quiet *and* it looks fairly stock and very low key.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It definitely helps Hatchy and I appreciate it. I'm waiting for engine mgmt before embarking on the TBE route, but am trying to gather information for the inevitable. I will note this for my records and appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would like to have one of these made. Does anyone know the dimensions or part # for that flange?

Thanks, T.J.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use a Helix downpipe with my stock cat back. I just took the donut gasket off of the stock downpipe and put it into the flange on the cat back. I have never had a leak (over 1 year of daily driven use).

Why wouldn't this work for the Borla or any other exhaust designed to mate to the stock downpipe?

·
Registered
223 Posts
~WRBlue'02 said:
I use a Helix downpipe with my stock cat back. I just took the donut gasket off of the stock downpipe and put it into the flange on the cat back. I have never had a leak (over 1 year of daily driven use).

Why wouldn't this work for the Borla or any other exhaust designed to mate to the stock downpipe?

its does work, meaning the borla exhaust will work with the stock DP.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Invisiguard said:
its does work, meaning the borla exhaust will work with the stock DP.

I am not sure you understand, if I can use the STOCK catback with a 3" flat flange Helix downpipe, why would an aftermarket exhaust with a similar flange design not work? Why not just take the donut gasket (soft metal ring found on the stock downpipe) off of the stock downpipe, put it in the cat back at the flange and bolt them together?

·
Registered
269 Posts
High TEMP RTV sealant baby !!! WHO NEEDS GASKETS? :rotfl:

I have always like the tone of the Greddy EVO exhaust.. At low RPMS it is nice and subtle.. But has a nice HIGH rpm tone as well...

I bet the Greddy EVO TT Sounds really mean on an STi.... :tongue:

·
Registered
223 Posts
slowmo said:
High TEMP RTV sealant baby !!! WHO NEEDS GASKETS? :rotfl:

I have always like the tone of the Greddy EVO exhaust.. At low RPMS it is nice and subtle.. But has a nice HIGH rpm tone as well...

I bet the Greddy EVO TT Sounds really mean on an STi.... :tongue:
yeah I have a greddy EVO too but Im switching it for a Hush since the EVO reduces down to 2.5" in the resinators and muffler:(

·
Registered
269 Posts
Invisiguard said:
yeah I have a greddy EVO too but Im switching it for a Hush since the EVO reduces down to 2.5" in the resinators and muffler:(
The EVO TT is 3" all the way right?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Invisiguard said:
Dunno, what the difference from the EVO/EVO 2 and the EVO TT?

TT stands for "Turbo Tuned". I would imagine that means larger diameter piping that the standard EVO or EVO2...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts