Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a exhaust that is not to loud. something that is not annoying. i am just afraid that i am going to get something and not be happy with it. so i wanted to know what a borla exhaust sounded like and where was the best place to get one. also are there any good sounding dual tips (quite).....

·
Registered
2 Posts
borla exhaust

I personally have not heard the exhaust, but so far the general comments are, very loud and can become drony.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
If you put a silencer on an exhaust does it take away from performance or just noise reduction?

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Borla exhaust sounds like a V8 motor boat. People have mistaken my car for a V6 or V8. It is not too loud inside the cabin but it's a little louder outside.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm waiting for a recording other than the one off Borla's site, or to hear it in person, before I make my final decision, but I think I'm gunning for the Borla myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you do not want something loud, stay away from the Borla. I have it and love it, but quiet is one thing it is not.
P.S. I have a full review with pictures on www.i-club.com in the group buy thread on the borla exhaust. Check it out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
dman918-read your review on the Borla along with a few others. Ordering mine tomorrow from Renick. Downside is that it is a birthday present and won't be "getting it " til late April. I am not supposed to know about it. A gift from my daughter.:D :D

Barry

·
Registered
40 Posts
I loike how the brullen looks, but in all actuality, I want something a *little* louder...:rolleyes: I'm an in-betweener...I don't want "OMG, His Car Is LOUD", but I don't want to hear "So when are you buying an aftermarket exhaust?" When I've spent $700 on my exhaust system :p

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Guys that are looking for a Quiet system

GTBGUY said:
Ok guys, here's a sound clip of the Dual 3" tip Brullen Cat-back in quiet acoustics.

Click Hereemail the guys @ iON Performance for more info.
Sounds like a motorcycle. I think it's best to hear it in person. :( A sound clip from the computer is different from hearing it in real life.

It does look good though. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
S-K - there are actually 3 acoustic preferences you can choose from. The one that I posted a clip of is the "quiet" acoustic preference. There's also a Medium which is more authoratative than the quiet but doesn't drone. There's also a "Loud" version which is basically the closest thing in terms of volume to a road going rally car :)

Bliss - yup, it's harder to distinguish frequences through a computer. However, there have been no complaints in terms of sound quality or loudness of any of the Brullen systems :) hence the 3 different acoustic variances that you can choose from.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
which of the three would the M2 be: quite, med., loud

·
Registered
40 Posts
hmmm...

I'm kinda leaning towards the big-tip look now too, so the Blitz exhaust is tempting me so much...

As far as the Brullen, as far as curiosity goes...Is there an Axle-Back offered? It's all I can afford for now, and I want my car to sound better :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
snoword - The M2 is very close in sound to the "medium" Brullen, not as deep in sound though. (the M2's sound is "shallower")

S-K - no axle-back is offered as it's only a "show" piece at that point in time. The reason why there's only a Cat-back and Turbo-back is b/c of performance. Plus the Brullens are one of the only few 3" cat-backs.

Plus for i-club members the cost of a Brullen cat-back is only $599US + shipping (compared to M2's $795US + shipping).

So I'm sure you could do the math ;)

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
silencer

can any one fill me in on my silencer question?

does a silencer take anything away from the performance of the exhaust system or does it just quiet it?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Re: silencer

WRC_Obsessed said:
can any one fill me in on my silencer question?

does a silencer take anything away from the performance of the exhaust system or does it just quiet it?
By nature of the fact that it does silence it, I would say that it would affect the performance since the exhaust would no longer be as free flowing. Oversimplification here, but it's just like running an exhaust as opposed to no exhaust. Some loss of performance, but at least you won't go deaf!

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
a muffler by itself is really not going to add hp or more flow anyway. it really doesn't have any flow restricting properties, especially when there is three cats before it. even with two cats removed, a new muffler would add very little gain in hp.

so my point is, even if the silencer is disturbing some of the flow, you've got three major obsttructions before you even get to the muffler. THAT is where the problem lies. you would not be able to feel the difference unless you are looking for big hp and already have a very free flowing system up front, and in back.

$0.02

dR

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Good point dR.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts