ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is in the right section, but I want to adjust my boost to avg at 18 is this going to be safe with all stock internals on my 02 WRX 100k miles. Right now it's average is at 12 and peaks at 15. I'll be purchasing a wideband because I know this increases the chance of the fuel running lean. Any input is better than no input. Also if it's not safe to avg at 18 what would be a good avg boost for more power? Thanks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
18 is kinda high for the stock TD04 . Plus u will be running lean if u don't tune for the increased boost . Your going to also put a world of Hurt on the turbo boosting that high . And you won't be able to
Maintain 18 Psi . It'll spike 18 and then taper down right away .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Go stage 2 and get a tune...all issues solved.

If you are worried about the engine, get a compression check done prior. If all cylinders check out, proceed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I was gonna T off the hose with a copper aquarium bleeder and adjust a tiny hole to force more boost 0.o. Bad idea? I don't have a chip to tune the car atm. I do have a boost gauge and a wideband.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Well I was gonna T off the hose with a copper aquarium bleeder and adjust a tiny hole to force more boost 0.o. Bad idea? I don't have a chip to tune the car atm. I do have a boost gauge and a wideband.
Yeah not a good idea. Don't do that. Use the ECU to control boost. Do a LOT more research and come up with a reputable tuner in your area or even search around for internet tuners. You don't need a "chip" to tune a Subaru. All you need is someone that knows how. The ECU is tuneable as is with Open Source tuning software (done with a laptop and tactrix cable...which a tuner will have) or you can purchase a Cobb Accessport if you want to go that route.

I could go on and on and on, but I'm still at work and all you have to do is search for "Stage 2."

Don't just go poking holes in things and increasing boost if you don't have a clue how to do it right, otherwise you risk seriously effing up your car, and possibly hurting others (causing accidents?).

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
v6mx6ls36 said:
18 is kinda high for the stock TD04. Plus u will be running lean if u don't tune for the increased boost . Your going to also put a world of Hurt on the turbo boosting that high.
With proper modifications, 20-22 PSI is within the efficiency range.

Rogle said:
You don't need a "chip". You can reflash the ECU with a Tactrix cable.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Yes thats a bad idea. You don't need a "chip" considering these car have a volitile reflashible memory. I would suggest reading all of this before doing any mods. Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know where you coming from I just don't know how to tune the ECU or really what to use but seeing that I can reflash it with a tactrix cable I could find someone to help. There aren't any tuners in my area =/, I guess I'll have to dig in and research. Lol I wouldn't poke any holes thats what the T hose and aquarium valve was for :). haha jk thanks for the information I really appreciate it.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I know where you coming from I just don't know how to tune the ECU or really what to use but seeing that I can reflash it with a tactrix cable I could find someone to help. There aren't any tuners in my area =/, I guess I'll have to dig in and research. Lol I wouldn't poke any holes thats what the T hose and aquarium valve was for :). haha jk thanks for the information I really appreciate it.
Its all good...you're learning the ropes...that's why you ask questions, we'll point you in the right direction :)

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
If your just using a MBC don't set it above 15 as you aren't addressing the fueling issue. This is okay for bugeyes only.

If you are getting a tune, 18PSI is nothing throughout the mid range. My car has been doing it for tens of thousands of miles.

18 is kinda high for the stock TD04 . Plus u will be running lean if u don't tune for the increased boost . Your going to also put a world of Hurt on the turbo boosting that high . And you won't be able to
Maintain 18 Psi . It'll spike 18 and then taper down right away .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to be blunt, but if that is your experience on a 2.0l you need a new tune. Look at the map. 2.2=~17PSI, 2.4=~20

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yea, 15 Psi is an OK basic upping of boost setting for an '02 WRX with no EM, 16.5 Psi max boost is doable. But use a proper MBC not holes... Also read up on FBPT problems with MBC, you don't want any more than 8 Psi with anything less than 75% throttle or a new engine is in your future...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts