Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wazza...

I just upgrade my car to a Stage 4 turbo XS and utec and ABC but now i have a small little problem..

when i drive hard my wrx the boost in 1st 2nd 3rd n 4th is 17.0 psi but when i shift to 5 th gear the max boost is agroun 20 psi.. how i can fix this..

I want to run..17 psi from 1st to 5th gear.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not entirely sure you could do that (other than watching your boost in 5th)... I just installed UTEC and my boost is also somewhat higher in 5th. Since ECU doesn't have the intelligence to know which gear you're in - we're sh*t out of luck :)

AD

Xtremwrx said:
wazza...

I just upgrade my car to a Stage 4 turbo XS and utec and ABC but now i have a small little problem..

when i drive hard my wrx the boost in 1st 2nd 3rd n 4th is 17.0 psi but when i shift to 5 th gear the max boost is agroun 20 psi.. how i can fix this..

I want to run..17 psi from 1st to 5th gear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't an EBC keep the boost the same in all gears?

i have an MBC, and my boost gets higher in each gear as well...

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
an ebc should do this for you...

if you are not running an ebc it is normal for boost to climb in each gear. most of the time you will tune to get max boost in 4th gear since you really don't have any pull in 5th.

if you want you can set your mbc to run max boost in 5th but boost will still increase in each gear until you reach max in 5th.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took my car to the dyno and have the people from xx tuning tuned my car.. now the cars respond a lot better.. but i still have the same problem i get like a boost spike.. and the check engin goes off 2 times.

for example if im goin around 80mph @ 3500rpms and i pust it the throler to 100% onpen.. and if i let go of the gas just a lit.. lets say about.. 75% of the THrotler open i get the boost spike that goes all the way to.. 1.30 bar - 1.4 bar.. :confused:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Xtremwrx said:
I took my car to the dyno and have the people from xx tuning tuned my car.. now the cars respond a lot better.. but i still have the same problem i get like a boost spike.. and the check engin goes off 2 times.

for example if im goin around 80mph @ 3500rpms and i pust it the throler to 100% onpen.. and if i let go of the gas just a lit.. lets say about.. 75% of the THrotler open i get the boost spike that goes all the way to.. 1.30 bar - 1.4 bar.. :confused:
You might try shortening the hoses on the boost controller. I was spiking pretty bad (not that high, but close) until I took about 1.5" of each side of the boost controller, and the spiking settled down. You should get the hoses as short as you possibly can without causing any sharp angles or kinking.

·
Banned
601 Posts
hey

I had the same prob, then I changed my boost control to closed loop, and left the gain alone(at 50, if you set it lower, when I tried setting the gain lower, it made my boost spike). Now my car hits 16.7(at least) in every gear, and doesn't go above 18.3... My boost gauge flutters when it gets over 18psi cause the wastegate is constantly letting off air. That usually happens in 4th and 5th, but in first it gets to about 16.7, and in second and third it pins at 18(and feels good).

The problem I had b4 I changed to closed loop, was that in 4th and 5th I'd hit 17.5, and in all the other gears I wouldn't come close. When if I turned up the abc the other gears would see good boost, but 4th and 5th would overboost. Overall I like closed boost more, I wish I could set different amounts of gain and have different maps for different gears though(that would probably help you out too, but it is only a concept).

I was thinkin that the overboosting thing might be because of the restrictors in the different vacume lines like the ones running from the compressor to the actuator, like the other guy said, maybe if I make tha abc line shorter it will help response, but I dunno. I wanna be able to turn my gain up more, but can't because of the overboosting deal, maybe I should spring for an external wastegate, I won't though.

anyways, if you want my closed loop map and a few little instructions on what swithes to set in the utec preferences, just tell me. peace,
hippy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts