Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay with my stock column mounted boost gauge I'm reading .09 MPa at full boost. Stock boost is rated at 14.5 psi or .1 MPA. Is the stock boost level rated at the turbo or at the intake? Is the loss of boost pressure attributed to the pressure drop across the intercooler? I'm raising this question because I just received and installed my Joe P MBC and don't want to exceed a safe level of boost. If I run the recommended 16psi (.11MPa) of boost according to my gauge, it will actually be around 17.45 at the turbo if all things are equal.
BTW, if you haven't invested in a MBC yet, you need to. What a difference in performance it makes. Believe all that you read regarding this little device. By far, best $50 spent yet...

Shawn

·
Registered
306 Posts
How accurate are the built in electronic boot gauge in the turbo timer or EBCs compare to the stand alone mechanical or electrical boost gauges?
I will get the Blitz Dual Timer by next week and I believe it comes with a boost gauge. I then planned to get the Joe MBC. But I'm worried the reading on the electronic boost gauge won't be as accurate. Am I wrong? Please tell me so I just wait longer and get a EBC.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After doing a little more research I see that stock boost is rated at 14.2psi. One article stated this is the max rating at the intake manifold. Now I'm starting to wonder If I have a problem with my stock boost controller. .09MPa only equals 13.05 psi.

Shawn

·
Registered
306 Posts

13.05 was all over the place. I believed you too at first. But now I remember reading that stock is 14.2. Or maybe not. Anybody can make sure we are dealing with the right pressure here? Thanks.

That goes back to my question: how much can we trust gauges? Or which ones should we trust? Mechanical, electrical, or electronic(built in turbo timers or EBCs).

We are talking about sensitive tiny critical mods here and I really don't want to wear out my turbo by being "mislead" by an inaccurate reading.

Thank you.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about a little too much boost. I had mine a little on the hot side and spiked to 18psi. It didn't blow up the motor or turbo. It just throws a wastegate CEL, then turn it down a little. By the way I did see it happening on the gauge but didn't have time to turn it down.

Basically you will throws CELs if you are too high.

Good Luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
?? Wastegate CEL??

What is a "wastegate check engine light"? How is it monitored?? Are you implying that it is a signal to the boost solenoid that once the boost solenoid is triggered to close due to Knock it throws the light, or possibly just a light for excessive knock count?. Hmm interesting.

(I would hate to get a CEL every time my car sensed a little knock.. hehe) ;)

But while I am rambling here, I would like to forward a little info to those of you who are not familiar with DSMs. Check the links:

http://www.dsm.org/

and a good link on some dsm mods:
http://www.vfaq.com/

Realize I am not trying to "force" dsms here, but the nice thing that I am finding out on this site is that there seems to be alot of similarties between the two cars. The one on THIS topic is that if any of you who have a good factory manual set maybe you can find the wire that the ecu signals the boost solenoid. On our cars we tap this wire with a bright LED because it is a good indicator as to when the ecu is trying to shut the boost solenoid downdue to too much knock or mas issues.

just an FYI

·
Registered
17 Posts
Web page...

Ok since we are on the Boost subject... (sorry to be so long winded btw...) :rolleyes:

Umm as i have mentioned in some other posts I dont have a wrx, but I am an enthusiast of them, and when i helped my buddy (yea, greg with the UGLY STRIPES.. hehe) I got some good pics of the Profec B and Gauge install. And as soon as I get off my A$$ i will get the pics put together and put them on my web.

I will try to busta move asap.. ah-ite?

peace!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts