Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Booooost Monkeyyyy

Well, i think i've found the BC ive been looking for. One that can control partial throttle high boost occurences, but give me full boost in every gear at WOT. Anyone got one of these little suckers runnin around in their hood? IF so, how's it perform?
I hoping that this can be the boost controller for me since im probably never going to run boost over 16psi ever anyways.

·
Registered
33 Posts
dont have the boostmonkey, but just put in MBC from boostcontroller.com a few hours ago ($50)

have it set at 1.1bar (15.95 psi) and all i can say is.....scary!

this is the first time i actually found myself bracing for the acceleration (theres a guy on this board, CHUGLOBAL, who has basically the setup i have and "says" his best 0-60 time was 4.66)...i dont know about that, but its WAY faster than stock

the main question is....how often do you accelerate with the throttle between 1/3 and 3/4

i either drive hard wot or accelerate like grandma (keeping the bar sub zero)

from what i can tell, this partial throttle/full boost " problem" is nonsense

if youre worried about it...get the monkey...if not, just modify your driving habits a bit and youll be fine with the regular MBC

But be sure to get at least the catless uppipe to keep the EGTs down...and catless downpipe for insurance..go with GODSPEED for both

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the reason im not using a mbc is because there are problems with partial throttle high boost issues. the boost monkey eliminates that and basically acts similar to the oem ecu boost settins, i can just get max boost in first and second now, and still not worry about EGT problems which MBC"s give out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
switchable mbc system

are you guys aware of the a system that allows you to switch between two boost settings, like an mbc and the fbc for example. that way you only switch on the mbc when you want it, with basic 12v toggle switch. turboxs markets one for around $240, but you can make one yourself pretty easily for no more than $100. the boostvalve.com mbc works a little differently than other mbc's, running off the bov line instead of taking the place of the fbc. the system has been tested by a few in the forums, and seems to work great. other dsm owners have been using it for years and all swear by it. i haven't installed it yet, but that's the first thing i will do as my rex is still fairly young. i just like the idea of being able to control it. doesn't the boost monkey control the factory solenoid, which is a bleeder type solenoid? if so, i believe you can feel the boost "hit" more with the ball and spring mbc setup. is this assumption correct?

sg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re: switchable mbc system

gifty74 said:
are you guys aware of the a system that allows you to switch between two boost settings, like an mbc and the fbc for example. that way you only switch on the mbc when you want it, with basic 12v toggle switch. turboxs markets one for around $240, but you can make one yourself pretty easily for no more than $100. the boostvalve.com mbc works a little differently than other mbc's, running off the bov line instead of taking the place of the fbc. the system has been tested by a few in the forums, and seems to work great. other dsm owners have been using it for years and all swear by it. i haven't installed it yet, but that's the first thing i will do as my rex is still fairly young. i just like the idea of being able to control it. doesn't the boost monkey control the factory solenoid, which is a bleeder type solenoid? if so, i believe you can feel the boost "hit" more with the ball and spring mbc setup. is this assumption correct?

sg
[/QUOTE

i just put the boostvalve.com MBC in yesterday...it works great, only takes a few minutes to install, and just a few more to dial in...i set it at 1.1bar in 3rd gear and she goes like hell

TOO BAD I HIT A DEER ON THE WAY HOME LAST NIGHT:( :( :(

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Re: Re: switchable mbc system

a_is_a_1984 said:
TOO BAD I HIT A DEER ON THE WAY HOME LAST NIGHT:( :( :( [/B]
Doh! I hope that you're ok (I figure you are). How's the car? Much damage, or was it a "grazing" type hit?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
would it hurt to run a boost monkey and a boostvalve.com boost controller together? What would be the advantage to such a setup? I still want to be able to run low boost at partial throttle, but with the boost monkey, i can go WOT and get full boost in every gear. where does the boostvalve.com BC come in?

·
Registered
126 Posts
tytlyf said:
would it hurt to run a boost monkey and a boostvalve.com boost controller together? What would be the advantage to such a setup? I still want to be able to run low boost at partial throttle, but with the boost monkey, i can go WOT and get full boost in every gear. where does the boostvalve.com BC come in?
My understanding is (partly from website) is that the MBC will allow you to boost higher than the max of the boostmonkey. Maybe even build the boost quicker

Michael

·
Registered
310 Posts
Most MBC (ball and spring) forces the wastegate to stay closed until
the preset PSI, most ppl run 15-16 psi. The boost response is
"fast and ferious" :D

The drawback is PT/FB which can generate excess EGT and screw
up the pre cat unless you install the uppie to replace it.

Boostmonkey is a great device for the price, it is a electronic device
that some how control the FCB and the boost signal and with the
newly discovered trick ( replace the factory restrictor with a regular
host connector ) becomes very effective. Downside you have to
splice into the factory ECU. Also cannot be easily remove to run
SCCA solo 2 D stock class.

If your engine mod plan stops at this point then go with the
boostmonkey. If you are going stage 0 or higher then save the
money for the stage kit which uses a MBC as part of the setup.
This way no tear down of the existing mods.

My plan:

1. MBC (done).
2. Silencer mod (done).
2. Godspeed uppie (very soon) :D
3. TurboXS catback (not 2 distant future).
4. TurboXS piggyback unichip tuned to the above mods (ditto).
5. 265hp + Go like hell some more :D

Gotta do it in stages, not single = funding is limited on car mods.
I did alll my Talon TSI mod including turbo upgrade in less than 1
year when I was single.

·
895 Posts
assuming your car has a catless uppipe in it, you really don't have to worry about the higher egt problems associated with the spring/ball type mbc at partial throttle, am i right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
310 Posts
True, still I felt a EGT gauge is a must for serious mods.

Even with the TurboXS stage 1, my setup should allows me to run
stock FBC when someone else drives the car. 227 hp verse 265 hp is
a pretty big difference. Also it might help gas mileage some what.

rex is such a tunable beast :D

Btw the Talon TSI with the HKS turbo upgrade is a torgue steer
nightmare.

·
895 Posts
WRXrumble said:
True, still I felt a EGT gauge is a must for serious mods.

Even with the TurboXS stage 1, my setup should allows me to run
stock FBC when someone else drives the car. 227 hp verse 265 hp is
a pretty big difference. Also it might help gas mileage some what.

rex is such a tunable beast :D

Btw the Talon TSI with the HKS turbo upgrade is a torgue steer
nightmare.
yeah, i am in the works of getting my EGT gauge installed. 2 biggest obstacles to that is: 1. no egt probe...hehe 2. no money for egt probe :D

Also it might help gas mileage some what.
...what might help gas mileage? i thought an mbc lowers your mpg?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Penguinking said:

...what might help gas mileage? i thought an mbc lowers your mpg?

Believe me, when you have more boost, you USE IT!!!! THe foot likes to stick to the floor.

Michael

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
We had a huge discussion about this whole, "partial throttle, full boost, high EGT" garbage a while ago. I reached the conclusion that it is total BS. Since I can't verify this with my own EGT, I will bot state as fact that it is BS, but I really don't think this problem exists.

-Jim

·
2,210 Posts
Jim

Although the jury is still out on this one, I would tend to agree with you. I do not see this phenomenon with my Unichip, and did not perceive any issues when I was running just an MBC. Interestingly, while I have been running without the Unichip this week I am actually seeing higher EGTs (running stock boost). Nutty, eh!? I'm seeing 800 celcius at part-throttle part-boost cruise situations, whereas I would see 750 with the Unichip. I don't know why this is happening, but disconnecting the Unichip without resetting the ECU may have had some implications. YMMV.

I think the part-throttle full-boost situation has more of a bearing on drivability than anything else.

-Pace

·
2,210 Posts
Off-topic: Another observation of running without the Unichip. Gas consumption has fallen through the floor. I just got 350 miles on a tank. With the Unichip I get about 280. Anyone who thinks that increasing your performance does not come at the expense of decreased gas mileage, is kidding themselves. The performance has to be fueled by *something*.

-Pace

·
Registered
109 Posts
i agree

i was wondering if anyone has noticed any side effects to PT/FB. i've read some many places that it can be very bad for the pre-turbo cat, and that it could break up. has anyone ever had any problems with this? don't you think people would be complaining about stuff melting or breaking apart if PT/FB=high EGT was a problem? who defines what is a safe egt anyway? not being smart, just wondered who determines what is too hot.

sg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts