Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the boost monkey is a fairly new item on the market. To anyone who has actually installed this device, how does it perform? Would you recommend purchasing? Today's my birthday, so I'm looking to buy myself a special speed enhancing gift! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know somebody has to have this thing installed!!
Someone give me some feedback !!

BuMp :D

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i haven't heard of anyone with one installed. run some searches though, it's been discussed quite a bit since it's release.

i know of a few peeps looking into them, but no one has posted a review yet, or said they have one.

dR

·
Registered
249 Posts
Boost Monkey #20 review

Keep in mind that I'm just a newbie here, and that I don't have an EGT gauge.

I installed mine tonight after receiving it in the mail yesterday. Detailed instructions are correct and easy to understand. I initially tapped into an incorrect wire on the PCM, but soon discovered my mistake with no dire consequences.

To summarize: It works exactly as advertised. The only mods I've had on the car before the install are the grounding mod, silencer removal, K&N, and 3/16 restrictor. Before, I was only seeing about .06-.07 mpa (9 psi) in 1st and 2nd gear, and .09 mpa (13 psi) in 3rd-5th all at WOT. With the boost turned completely down on the Boost Monkey dial, it registered less boost than "Pre-Monkey" at about .07 mpa in all gears at WOT. I suppose this would be useful if you let someone else borrow the car, or for the parking garage guy.

I've got the TPS sensor set to allow "Monkey Action" at around 80% throttle. Turning up the Boost dial gradually throughout the course of testing allowed me to gradually see higher and higher levels of boost. Exactly as I expected. Ultimately, with the dial at max boost setting, I was seeing about 1.0-1.005 in 1st and 2nd gear at WOT (14.5-16psi) and about 1.15 (about 17 psi) in 3rd-5th. It seems to hold boost at higher RPM's (5500-7000) instead of dropping off when "pre-Monkey", but it's kind of hard to concentrate on the redline, traffic, radar detector, and boost gauge all at the same time, though.

I haven't done any track testing on the car at all, but the kid in the Celica GTS w/ exhaust that played with me on Rt 53 tonight while I was, ahem, "testing" seemed impressed when he saw fading WRX taillights on both of our impromptu runs from 50 mph up to over 100. And the seat of the pants impression tells me the car is quicker in all gears as well.

Huge thanks to Kris for his work in development on the product and for being prompt with emails to me when I needed to ask questions.

-----------------
2002 WRX 5spd. Satisfied Boost Monkey customer.
2000 Firehawk Convertible 6spd modified

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
excellent reply,

Now that's the kind of information that i needed :D

I just purchased it via paypal tonight, and hopefully will be seein it in a week. Im a noob under the hood, so i heard the instructions are pretty easy to follow, so no problem there.

Thx for the follow up, and i will let you guys know what this bad little monkey can do for me once i get it installed.

I figured, for the price, why not get something that acts exactly like a MBC, but allows the funcionality of the oem setup (if desired). The ultimate choice for people that aren't MOD intense, and just want to unlease the power of the rex at minimal expense. :eek:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm also a newbie here myself, but I do have an EGT guage installed. :D

As everyone says, it does what it says. In 5th gear on the highway at about 65/70mph, it stays pegged at 1400F. As a matter of fact, no matter what gear I never see over 1400F at crusing speeds.

At the moment, I'm keeping mine at about 14psi, as I'm studying how it works with the Unichip. I'm running a TurboXS one, with a generic 16psi map. I've had zero problems with the combination. Even at WOT in 2nd gear, I never see EGT's over 1550F, and for no more than a second. I still have the stock restrictor hose in place. Only other engine mods are a K&N panel filter and a "hacked" intake snorkel (silencer removed). The EGT probe is located a few inches past cylinder #1 in the header.

·
Registered
50 Posts
PlatinumWRX,

The range of EGT's was similar before the boostmonkey install. I've never had an MBC installed on my car, purely because of the PT/EGT issues.

Highway crusing was the same, but that's because you never usually see boost on the highway. At best, 5psi. My wastegate spring never goes above 6psi, so it woudn't really affect the fuel/timing maps because that's normal at crusing speed. Lower gears are the same. Honestly, I drive like a grandma on public roads. Unless I'm testing something, of corse. ;)

I will be trying it out with the larger restrictor and slowly turning it up to 16psi. I'm a little wary of anything over stock boost right now because of the Unichip. While the maps on it are for 16psi, I'm unsure of how "robust" the maps are at handling spiking issues and such. Better safe than sorry. :) Once I do that, I'll let you know if I find any problems with this particular setup.

I have one of the original TXS Unichips, and I'm running the original "generic 16psi" maps. Their original solution was frightening at best. I'm glad I didn't have the EGT installed then, because I probably would have wet myself. Their solution to set the boost to 16psi was to include a new hose with a smaller hole in the hose just after the turbo. A WOT run in 5th gear would produce a very scary 21psi AT THE MANIFOLD. As there's a 3psi drop over the stock IC, that means that for a brief moment the stock turbo was producing 24psi. WAY out of the efficency range of the stocker. Out comes that hose, in goes the stock. Since then I've been looking for a good solution, but can't justify spending $400 for an EBC when I'm using the stock fuel system. The boosmonkey is inexepensive enough, and it does exactly what it says. Controls boost, but keeps PT/EGT's low.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Excellent. I'm glad to hear that it's a good product and that the sellers are respectable. I hope to order mine very soon. It's also good to hear the results with the 3/16" connector. This will be the perfect "invisible" mod for me to hide from my wife.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just ordered one but I don't even have a boost gauge yet. Any recomendations? Should I get the dealer to install a stock one?
I'm not sure that I like the gauge on the steering wheel...

For those that have installed it already. How long did it take, and how hard would it be to make it stock again (for taking to dealer)?

Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
dipalda said:
I just ordered one but I don't even have a boost gauge yet. Any recomendations? Should I get the dealer to install a stock one?

For those that have installed it already. How long did it take, and how hard would it be to make it stock again (for taking to dealer)?

Thanks
I took my time and tried to do a "nice" job with the wiring by using loom and such. I didn't set the stopwatch, but I'd say allow up to 2 hours. If I had to do it over again, I could probably get it done in an hour now that I know what I'm doing.

Mine is hidden in the glove box, and the only giveaway under the hood is a small black 18 gauge wire running from the firewall to the boost controller. The dealer didn't even comment on the three grounding 8 gauge wires that I have under the hood when I brought it in for an oil change. So it's unlikely they'd even wonder what that small one wire is. If you're worried about it, just lock the glove box, and give them the "valet Key". It's not something that I'd want to uninstall everytime I went to the dealer for a minor non-related issue. If you had engine, pcm, or turbo problems, then I would definitely remove all traces of it (which shouldn't take more than an hour).

And yes, a boost gauge is basically essential. Any kind will do (A-pillar aftermarket, factory steering wheel pod, or whatever else you can find on the market).

:)

---------------------
2002 WRX with "Monkey Fever"
2000 Firehawk Convertible 6spd-modified

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wont the dealer be able to see where you spliced?I know you can take out the monkey for service work but how do you hide splice job?

·
Registered
50 Posts
dipalda said:

Thanks
Fortunately for me, the TXS Unichip harness hides things on the ECU side of things. As for the engine bay, I tried looking for some replacement connectors, but had no luck finding the correct one. I'll have to keep looking. However, the connector you splice in the engine bay has a plastic sleve around it you have to cut to get to the wires, so with a little electrical tape nobody would know.

As for the guage, it depends. You WILL need one. However, the stock one is a little to expensive for the size I think. Even a nice 52mm Autometer would be better. I know somone who's got a set of the Autometer and they haven't had a problem. Myself, I decided to get the DefiLink 60mm ones, but thats ALOT more expensive.

·
Registered
249 Posts
bongo1 said:
Wont the dealer be able to see where you spliced?I know you can take out the monkey for service work but how do you hide splice job?
The splicing done at the PCM is under the passenger footwell. They won't see that. The splicing done at the boost solenoid is underneath a plastic cover, and like MadDog said, with some electrical tape and such, it will be hidden rather well from all but the most observant eyes looking for it. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks [/B]

Ok, here goes. :p The boost monkey was actually delivered in about 4 working days, excellent time IMHO. I was actually surprised to see it show up soo quickly, what a feeling !!!:D So i tore open the packaging, and wahlah, there it sat, soo booty-ful. I'm not very good at installs, so i was kinda skeptic about putting it in. Took me about 2 hours to complete, and the install was perfect!! Worked the first time.

After gettin it dialed in, which was basically simple, I took a drive. And whoa, can you feel a difference. Just like a MBC but gives you the flexibility of settin the throttle position for BOOST to kick in. I couldn't be happier with a puchase, only $120!!! and i dont have to worry about no stinkin EGT's or none of that mess you have to worry about saving 50 bucks for a normal MBC. The best part is, it can work identically as a MBC (full boost when steppin on pedal partially), or if you want to keep your same feeling like a stock WRX has boost wise, no problem. It's all a matter of how you set the boost to come on full (11-17psi) by throttle position i.e. how far you got the gas down.

Loooook out everyone, this little monkey is gonna take over by storm! i feel bad for everyone with a MBC that has to worry about high boost at partial throttle, or you can just take your MBC out when you dont want to worry about EGT's. This is the ideal piece for anyone wanting to have a MBC set as high as 17psi with a stock turbo, and also have the ability to adjust with the twist of a dial to keep normal driving conditions.

%100 recommend to anyone looking for a boost controller ! :eek:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
tytlyf said:
i feel bad for everyone with a MBC that has to worry about high boost at partial throttle, or you can just take your MBC out when you dont want to worry about EGT's. This is the ideal piece for anyone wanting to have a MBC set as high as 17psi with a stock turbo, and also have the ability to adjust with the twist of a dial to keep normal driving conditions.
Don't feel bad for me. I love my $48 Joe P MBC and I don't have even the slightest inkling of worry about EGTs. I know for a fact that my EGTs are fine, not because I have an EGT gauge, but because I know that the WRX exhaust is designed to handle 1600degF+ EGTs. If you want to get a "monkey" for whatever it costs, go ahead. Those of us that know better will stick to Apexi AVC-Rs, Blitz SBC-ids, or the manual boost controllers of our choice (or our making).

-Jim

·
Registered
50 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:

Don't feel bad for me. I love my $48 Joe P MBC and I don't have even the slightest inkling of worry about EGTs. I know for a fact that my EGTs are fine, not because I have an EGT gauge, but because I know that the WRX exhaust is designed to handle 1600degF+ EGTs. If you want to get a "monkey" for whatever it costs, go ahead. Those of us that know better will stick to Apexi AVC-Rs, Blitz SBC-ids, or the manual boost controllers of our choice (or our making).

-Jim
Christ on a crutch, WE GET IT. YOU DON'T LIKE THE BOOSMONKEY. YOU LOVE YOUR MBC. No need to point it out EVERY bloody time a thread comes up.

Those of you that know better? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
MadDog said:
Christ on a crutch, WE GET IT. YOU DON'T LIKE THE BOOSMONKEY. YOU LOVE YOUR MBC. No need to point it out EVERY bloody time a thread comes up.

Whether or not I "like" the boostmonkey is and always will be completely irrelevant to my position or this product. I will point it out every single time somebody says that MBC users have to worry about EGTS because THIS IS WRONG. Plain and simple.

MadDog said:
Yes, those of us that know better i.e. those of us that have used and endorsed MBC since their WRX was broken in.

BTW, overreact much? :eek:

-Jim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts