ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just had a quick question about boost gauges at altitude.
I have an electronic one right now and it isn't reading right because of the altitude I am at. I was wondering if you had any insight on what electronic gauges combat this, or if there are any. Should I invest in a Defi or can they suffer from the same problems? Any good mechanical ones out there?
Thanks
Fynn

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I don't think it's not reading correctly due to the altitude. Lots of people here in CO have electronic ones (including me) that work just fine at altitude.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I don't think it's not reading correctly due to the altitude. Lots of people here in CO have electronic ones (including me) that work just fine at altitude.
it is due to the altitude.

Mechanicals are the only ones that read correctly at altitude. Some electronics can be reset to correctly read, and others will read the boost that the ECU reads.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so would you guys recommend going with a defi or rather just a mechanical one? If mechanical what kind would you recommend? Don't feel like blowing up my new 18gxt quite yet...

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
That what i'm curious about, mine reads 0.6 Bar in 3-rd. 4-th and 0.7 Bar in 5th. Elevation around 8-9 K feet. i have perrin boost gauge. Is that a problem ?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't understand how altitude will affect a boost measurement because the sensor is downstream of the turbo, is it not? Altitude will affect boost however, so if you think the guage is reading low, it is because the guage is correct and you are just not making as much boost as you thought you should.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the reason electronic boost gauges can't read well above 3000 ft sometimes is because they rely on a bladder inside the electronic sensor in order to read boost. I purchased a mechanical boost gauge, and found out that my old electronic was reading about 4 psi low... Not good. I live up at 6500 ft though, so mechanical was necessary for me.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That what i'm curious about, mine reads 0.6 Bar in 3-rd. 4-th and 0.7 Bar in 5th. Elevation around 8-9 K feet. i have perrin boost gauge. Is that a problem ?
.7 bar is about 10 psi, not sure what the stock boost on the bugeyes is though...

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
volodyalysak said:
What is your ECU reading?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I don't understand how altitude will affect a boost measurement because the sensor is downstream of the turbo, is it not? Altitude will affect boost however, so if you think the guage is reading low, it is because the guage is correct and you are just not making as much boost as you thought you should.
The electronic sensors are calibrated to sea level. Up at a high altitude, you can have a significant drop in atmospheric pressure. Look at this chart: Air Pressure and Altitude above Sea Level

Usually the mechanical gauges can be adjusted for your base psi

·
Registered
316 Posts
The electronic sensors are calibrated to sea level. Up at a high altitude, you can have a significant drop in atmospheric pressure. Look at this chart: Air Pressure and Altitude above Sea Level

Usually the mechanical gauges can be adjusted for your base psi

So what you are saying is that the boost guages are not measuring absolute pressure, but differential pressure?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts