ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, about a month and a half ago i installed my boost gauge line on the left of the intercooler on a hose and when it was installed here the psi would only reach 7-8 (PIC Boost1)
I have a 2004 WRX, which i'm told should have around 13 psi. so a very very reliable friend told me that the closer the line was to the BOV the more acurate it would be. (PIC Boost2)
So i moved it the the line i was told so it was right off the top hose of the BOV
HOWEVER, when i go to drive my car, i start it up and the gauge imediately reads -20 psi and would move up from there in the higher RPM's (PIC Boost3)
This i feel is not right, i would appreciate as much help as possible

Attachments

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Looks good.

The bottom half of the gauge (negative numbers) are measuring inHG (inches of mercury) not PSI. The number is negative at idle because the intake manifold is in vacuum. Once the turbo begins to compress the incoming air the pressure rises, which is shown on the gauge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good.

The bottom half of the gauge (negative numbers) are measuring inHG (inches of mercury) not PSI. The number is negative at idle because the intake manifold is in vacuum. Once the turbo begins to compress the incoming air the pressure rises, which is shown on the gauge.
so did i hook up everything right and i just have the wrong gauge?
or is there a way to make it right? this is rather confusing

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Boost generated is dependent on load. You wont make your target peak boost revving the motor in neutral or even in 1st or 2nd gear.
To see your peak boost you want to do a wide open throttle pull in third or fourth gear (4th is tough on city streets because by the time you get to red line you're doing, like, 100).

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
(4th is tough on city streets because by the time you get to red line you're doing, like, 100).
that's what the highway is for:p

·
Registered
120 Posts
My wrx is stock and I had the spt boost gauge installed last Friday. When I accelerate the gauge will go to about 15.8psi,.... Does that sound right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts