ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

quick and simple 2002 wrx, stock td04 running at 15 psi with turbosmart mbc but after around 5500 -7000 boost tapers to about 11- 12 psi i know the stock turbos just dont have the steam to hold boost at that rpm but is there a way of improving it such as tighiteing the wastegate actuator, or buying a new wastegate actuator with a stronger srping
thans

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
No, those things will effect boost across the whole range and you shouldn't be trying in the first place. You're just going to get hot air and run into knock.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
The turbo is getting out of it's efficiency range. Thats why the MBC is tapering it down. If you already know the stock turbo is "running out of steam" it intrigues me why you would try to still have it run more boost especially considering you have no added mods for cooling the intake charge. The stock turbo can easily run up to 20+psi in the midrange with the proper mods.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
A really good TMIC, a 3-port EBCS, an EWG, and a protune would allow you to run a little more boost safely. That's about it though.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
My TD04 runs 18psi (tappers obviously) all day long with stock IC, stock BCS, stock waste gate etc. A good tune is what you need, possibly a lower mileage TD04

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
^Mine too (corrected for elevation), and Ron ran more.

I presume this car has the stock DP though.

15psi is the max with just an MBC and no tune either way.

·
Æternum
20,602 Posts
I run 32 PSI, but I also run the bi-valve hybrid chain-type compressor socket TD04.

OP:
Here ya go

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I run 32 PSI, but I also run the bi-valve hybrid chain-type compressor socket TD04.

OP:
Here ya go

Fixed :D

·
Æternum
20,602 Posts
I thought the alphabetic parameter only had to do with the turbo mounting position? :confused:

In which case the maps should be identical since the compressor and exhaust wheel are the same (which you've stated).

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I thought the alphabetic parameter only had to do with the turbo mounting position? :confused:

In which case the maps should be identical since the compressor and exhaust wheel are the same (which you've stated).
That annotation was on the source, not mine.

Here is how it shakes:

Wheel Exducer (in.) Inducer (in.) Trim
TD04..........1.57.....1.86....71
TD04L.........1.62.....1.86....76
TD04H........1.74.....2.04....73
TD04HL.......1.80.....2.05....77
TE04H.........1.88.....2.01....87
TD05H.........1.93.....2.20....77

TD04L-13T-6 Vs TD04HL- - NASIOC

·
Æternum
20,602 Posts
That annotation was on the source, not mine.

Here is how it shakes:

Wheel Exducer (in.) Inducer (in.) Trim
TD04..........1.57.....1.86....71
TD04L.........1.62.....1.86....76
TD04H........1.74.....2.04....73
TD04HL.......1.80.....2.05....77
TE04H.........1.88.....2.01....87
TD05H.........1.93.....2.20....77

TD04L-13T-6 Vs TD04HL- - NASIOC
Well I'll be damned. It's a completely different turbo! I guess we learn something new every day.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^Mine too (corrected for elevation), and Ron ran more.

I presume this car has the stock DP though.

15psi is the max with just an MBC and no tune either way.
First of all thankd gor the answers and no i jave a 3" tbe catless dp

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
In that case, running only the MBC is what is holding you back - do not just crank it up to hit more because you don't have the fueling and timing mapped to do so.

What you want is an opensource stage II tune -. depending on the map/tuner you may or may not use the MBC. Still, either way you can safely target higher boost even without it. It will make a big difference. You can go to a tuner, or get an internet map and your own cable. Either way should be ~$300 total.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In that case, running only the MBC is what is holding you back - do not just crank it up to hit more because you don't have the fueling and timing mapped to do so.

What you want is an opensource stage II tune -. depending on the map/tuner you may or may not use the MBC. Still, either way you can safely target higher boost even without it. It will make a big difference. You can go to a tuner, or get an internet map and your own cable. Either way should be ~$300 total.
Thats the thing im ftom australia and a open soirce tune cost $1500

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
a few things:
i dont have the hardware to put it on my car
this is saying low octane petrol/gas i run 98 wich is premium in australia
and this is a map for ebcs or

answers would be awsome thanks :)
Octane is calculated differently, and no where near as different as it sounds. It may be different enough to be a problem.

They have for EBCS maps or for no EBCS.

The cable you need is the openport cable.

I would make a login at romraider.com in the forum and see what you need to do, or contact XPT by email.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts